Twilight at the riverside
Parramatta Riverside, Putney NSW
From Bradleys head, Sydney harbour, Australia 20120624-IMG_0679
Putney, Sydney, July 2017
Sunrise from Sydney City
Kissing Point Bay, Putney, Sydney
Ex Shop, Putney, Sydney, NSW.
312 Morisson St, Putney, NSW
Mortlake Ferry, Putney, Sydney, NSW
Mortlake Ferry, Parramatta River, Putney, Sydney, NSW
British postcard in the Picturegoer Series, London, no. 326a. Photo: Janet Jevons. British actress Cicely Courtneidge (1893–1980) was an elegantly knockabout comedienne. For 62 years, she formed a husband and wife team with comedian Jack Hulbert on stage, radio, TV and in the cinema. During the 1930’s they also starred together in eleven British films and one disastrous American production. Esmerelda Cicely Courtneidge was born in Sydney, Australia in 1893. She was the daughter of the producer Robert Courtneidge, and at the time of her birth, he was touring Australia with the J. C. Williamson company. Her mother was Rosaline May née Adams (stage name Rosie Nott), the daughter of the opera singer Cicely Nott. The family returned to England in 1894. In 1901, at the age of eight, Courtneidge made her stage debut as the fairy Peaseblossom in her father's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Prince's Theatre, Manchester. By the age of 16, she appeared in his Edwardian musical comedies in the West End. Her London West End debut was at the Apollo Theatre in the comic opera Tom Jones (1907), which had a libretto co-written by her father. Cicely was quickly promoted from minor to major roles. Her first starring role was Eileen Cavanagh in the long-running Edwardian musical comedy The Arcadians, which she took over from Phyllis Dare in 1910. In the piece that followed, The Mousmé (1911), which also featured a book co-written by her father, she was cast in one of the two leading female roles alongside Florence Smithson. Her third musical comedy was The Pearl Girl (1913) with the 21-year-old Jack Hulbert, making his professional debut. Courtneidge and Hulbert starred together in The Cinema Star (1914), an adaptation by Hulbert and Harry Graham of Die Kino-Königin, a 1913 German comic opera by Jean Gilbert. The piece was a hit and played to full houses at the Shaftesbury Theatre until Britain and Germany went to war in August 1914. Anti-German sentiment brought the run to an abrupt halt. Soon after the outbreak of war, Hulbert joined the army. Courtneidge continued to appear in her father's productions in the West End and on tour. But Robert Courtneidge had a series of failures and temporarily withdrew from production. No other producers offered Cicely leading roles in musical comedies, and she turned instead to the music hall, learning her craft as a comedienne. In variety shows, she showed off her tuneful voice, forceful humour, and vital personality, and she held the attention of the audience. By 1918 she had firmly established herself as a music-hall artiste, both in the provinces and in London. Cicely Courtneidge had married Jack Hulbert in 1916. They formed a professional as well as a private partnership that lasted until his death, 62 years later. Their first revue was Ring Up, by Eric Blore and Ivy St. Helier, at the Royalty Theatre in 1921. They received good notices, but the material was weak, and the show was not a great success. Courtneidge returned to variety and appeared at the London Coliseum in 1922. In 1923, Courtneidge and Hulbert starred in The Little Revue, produced by Hulbert. The Times reviewed: "there is no reason why it should not have a dozen successors, all as good." There were, in fact, five successors, which were a continuous success over eight years. In 1925 they made their Broadway debut in the revue, By-the-Way. In 1931 Courtneidge and Hulbert suffered a serious setback when their financial manager had put their business into liquidation. Hulbert accepted responsibility for all the debts and to repay his creditors he and his wife moved over to the cinema. A boom in the film industry enabled actors to earn lucrative sums. Their first appearance in the all-star Elstree Calling (Adrian Brunel, Alfred Hitchcock, Andre Charlot, Paul Murray, Jack Hulbert, 1930) had gone down well enough for them to be offered more film roles. During the 1930s, Courtneidge appeared in 11 British films, and one in Hollywood. She and Hulbert worked together in such Gainsborough comedies as The Ghost Train (Walter Forde, 1931) with Ann Todd, the comedy Jack's the Boy (Walter Forde, 1932) and Falling for You (Walter Forde, 1933) with Tamara Desni. Hulbert played in The Ghost Train the dashing hero while Courtneidge played a mad spinster - a pattern that was repeated in many of their subsequent films together. For the German Ufa studio, they appeared in the musical Happy Ever After (Paul Martin, Robert Stevenson, 1932) starring Lilian Harvey. Solo, Cicely starred in Soldiers of the King (Maurice Elvey, 1934) in which she played a double role opposite Edward Everett Horton, and scored a solid hit. Hollywood took an interest and she went over to MGM to make The Perfect Gentleman (Tim Whelan, 1935) with Frank Morgan. It was a disastrous production and a massive flop. Back at Gainsborough, she starred in Me and Marlborough (Victor Saville, 1935) with Tom Walls, Things Are Looking Up (Albert de Courville, 1935) and Everybody Dance (Charles Reisner, 1936). Then she reunited on screen with Jack Hulbert in Take My Tip (Herbert Mason, 1937). In 1937, Courtneidge and Hulbert were also reunited on stage in Under Your Hat, a spy story co-written by Hulbert, with music and lyrics by Vivian Ellis. The production ran at the Palace Theatre until April 1940 and was then filmed for the cinema, Under Your Hat (Maurice Elvey, 1940). During the 1930s, they also recorded such songs as Why has a cow got four legs for Columbia and HMV. Solo, Courtneidge recorded her celebrated sketch Laughing Gas (1931). During the Second World War, Cicely Courtneidge entertained the troops and raised funds for the army. In 1941, she presented a nightly three-hour show, raising funds, and then formed a small company that she took to Gibraltar, Malta, North Africa, and Italy, performing for the services and hospitals. She also toured in Hulbert Follies (1941), and Full Swing (1942), which she and Hulbert then brought to the Palace Theatre. At the end of the war, she had a long run in Under the Counter, a comedy in which she received glowing notices. Its theme was the black market in luxury goods and the heroine's shamelessness in manipulating it to her advantage. This struck a chord with British audiences after the privations of the war, and the play, produced by Hulbert, ran for two years. Notable among her other successes was Courtneidge's performance in Ivor Novello's musical Gay's the Word in 1951–1952. In 1951 she was appointed CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire). In 1955 she made a come-back on the screen in the crime film Miss Tulip Stays the Night (Leslie Arliss, 1955) with Hulbert and Diana Dors. During the rest of the decade, she turned from musicals, revues to straight plays. In 1962, she gave what she considered her finest film performance in The L-Shaped Room (Bryan Forbes, 1962) starring Leslie Caron. Unlike her usual parts, she played an elderly lesbian, living in a drab London flat with her cat, recalling her career as an actress and forlornly trying to keep in touch with former friends. The Times described her performance as a triumph. In 1964, she appeared in the London production of High Spirits, a musical adaptation of Noël Coward's Blithe Spirit. Coward himself co-directed, and the two clashed constantly. The notices for the play and for Courtneidge were both dreadful. The last London production in which the Hulberts appeared together was a well-reviewed revival of Dear Octopus at the Haymarket Theatre in 1967 with Richard Todd. In 1969, Courtneidge turned to television, playing a working-class role as Mum in the first series of the LWT comedy On the Buses, opposite Reg Varney. Her role was played by Doris Hare in the rest of the series’ long run. While appearing in her last West End run in 1971, she celebrated 70 years on the stage. Afterward, she continued to work for a further five years before retiring. In 1972 she was appointed DBE (Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire). Her last film was Not Now Darling (Ray Cooney, David Croft, 1973), a farce in which also Hulbert appeared, both in supporting parts. One of her last appearances was in a royal gala performance at the Chichester Festival Theatre in June 1977, celebrating the Queen's Silver Jubilee. The performance was called God Save the Queen! and had an all-star cast, including Ingrid Bergman, Wendy Hiller, and Diana Rigg. Jack Hulbert died in 1978; Dame Cicely Courtneidge DBE died two years later, shortly after her 87th birthday, at a nursing home in Putney. She was survived by her only child, a daughter. Sources: David Absalom (British Pictures), Stanley Greene (Encyclopedia of the Musical theatre), The Cicely Courtneidge & Jack Hulbert Archive, Wikipedia, and IMDb. And, please check out our blog European Film Star Postcards.
Go-Ahead London subsidiary London General MCV EvoSeti bodied Volvo B5LH (MHV91 - LF67 EWP) 14
London General route 14: Warren Street Station - Putney Heath, Green Man Onslow Square (HV) ©London Bus Breh 2017.
Allard MK II
Cascais Classic Motorshow, Cascais, Portugal From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Allard Motor Company Limited was a London based low volume car manufacturer founded in 1945 by Sydney Allard which commenced from small premises in south west London. Car manufacture almost ceased within a decade. It produced approximately 1900 cars before it became insolvent and ceased trading in 1958. Before the war, Allard supplied some replicas of a Bugatti-tailed special of his own design from Adlards Motors in Putney. Allards featured large American V8 engines in a light British chassis and body, giving a high power-to-weight ratio and foreshadowing the Sunbeam Tiger and AC Cobra of the early 1960s. Cobra designer Carroll Shelby and Chevrolet Corvette chief engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov both drove Allards in the early 1950s. Sydney Allard soon saw the potential of the economically more vibrant – but sports car starved – US market and developed a special competition model to tap it, the J2. The new roadster was a potent combination of a lightweight, hand-formed aluminium body fitted with independent front suspension and de Dion type rear axle, inboard rear brakes, and designed for a Ford "flathead" V8. Allard's distinctive front suspension was produced by splitting the I-beam front axle in two to make swing axles, with long radius rods and a new feature, for their day, of inclined telescopic shock absorbers. Importing American engines just to ship them back across the Atlantic proved problematic, so US-bound Allards were soon shipped engineless and fitted out in the States variously with newer overhead valve engines by Cadillac, Chrysler, Buick, and Oldsmobile. In that form, the J2 proved a highly competitive international race car for 1950, most frequently powered by 331 cubic inch Cadillac engines. Domestic versions for England came equipped with Ford or Mercury flatheads. Russian-American engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov, formerly of Ardun (named after founders Yura and Zora ARkus-DUNtov) where he designed and developed aluminium overhead valve hemi heads for flathead Fords, worked for Allard from 1950 to 1952 and raced for the factory Allard team at Le Mans in 1952 and 1953. Available both in street trim and stripped down for racing, the J2 proved successful in competition on both sides of the Atlantic, including a third place overall at Le Mans in 1950 (driven by Sydney Allard himself, who also placed first in the Monte Carlo Rally in 1952 driving an Allard P1 saloon car). Of 313 documented starts in major races in the 9 years between 1949 and 1957, J2's compiled a list of 40 first place finishes; 32 seconds; 30 thirds; 25 fourths; and 10 fifth place finishes. Both Zora Arkus-Duntov (the first chief engineer for the Chevrolet Corvette) and Carroll Shelby (the creator of the AC Cobra) raced J2's in the early 50's. 90 J2's were produced between 1950 and 1952. In an effort to extend a line growing obsolete in the face of advances in sports car design, Allard introduced an 'improved' model in late 1951, the J2X (extended). In an attempt to improve handling, the front suspension's rear attaching radius rods were redesigned with forward ones, which required a forward cross member and extending the nose out past the front wheels. This, in turn, allowed the engine to be moved forward, yielding more cockpit room. There is often confusion when it comes to identification of J2 and J2X types because they are seemingly very similar. However, the most obvious differences are that the J2 nose does not extend past the front tyres and has two vents below the grille, while the J2X nose has a more protruding chin with a single vent below the grille, which, as explained extends out past the front tyres. Allard historian Tom Lush, who was Sydney Allard's Personal Assistant and Allard employee from the beginning, said in his definitive book "Allard: The Inside Story" that the chin was the most obvious difference between the two models. In standard form the spare wheel was carried hidden on top of the rear mounted fuel tank but either version could carry one or two side mounted optional spares. This allowed the use of a 40 gallon long distance fuel tank. Arriving later during a time when sports racing car design was developing rapidly, the J2X was not as successful in international racing as the J2, as it was not as competitive when compared to more advanced C and later D type Jaguars, alongside Mercedes, Ferrari, and Maserati works entries. Thus, it headlined less often in major international races and of 199 documented major race starts in the 9 years between 1952 and 1960, J2X's garnered 12 first place finishes; 11 seconds; 17 thirds; 14 fourths; and 10 fifth places.
Parramatta River, Putney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
II Flickr II Facebook II Google+ II Tumblr II
Putney, Sydney, Australia
Playground at Putney Park, Pellisier Road. 8.8 ha of open space - beautiful. Originally home to the Wallumedegal clan, the entire Putney peninsula (the park and surrounding area) was granted to Nicholas Baily - an Ensign in the New South Wales Corps - 8 October 1799. After several changes of hands, the area became home to the original Ryde City Baths [built 1929, filled-in 1970s], formally being purchased by the council and becoming a public park in 1988. The playground is a result of a 1992 donation by the local Rotary Club.
Parramatta River, Putney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Rowing on the Parramatta River in Sydney. Rhodes is in the background II Flickr II Facebook II Google+ II Tumblr II
Oakridge Easter Car show April 20th 2003 K3 1952- 1954 The Allard Motor Company was an English car manufacturer founded in 1936 by Sydney Allard. The company, based in Putney, London. until 1945 and then in Clapham, London, produced approximately 1900 cars until its closure in 1966. Early publicity had indicated that the Allard K3 was available with English Ford V-8, American Mercury V-8, Chrysler hemi V-8, or Jaguar XK dohc six. Yet even that choice of powerplants and Allard’s proven race record still weren’t enough to make this car the commercial success he thought it would be. The last Allard K3 left the Allard factory on October 8, 1954. Total production was just 61. For my video; youtu.be/-qVzu_D3OwA
Parramatta River, Putney, Sydney, NSW, Australia
II Flickr II Facebook II Google+ II Tumblr II
walking with dog
today evening in Putney park, Sydney Peace be with you.
Retired Rear Admiral John Francis Ross RN - Born 13th Feb 1821 in Malta. Death: Date: 20 Mar 1899 Place: 6 Albion Place, Ramsgate, Kent
Photographed by 'Smythe & Walters' The Paragon Studio, West Cliff, Ramsgate where he retired. Census - 1891 Ramsgate, Kent  John F Ross Head M 70 Malta B S, retired rear admiral - wife Mary Ross (Nee Grant) 48 years London, Note: Was in Royal Navy, Lieut in 1846; Commander in 1856; Captain 1862; Rear Admiral 1878. Retired to Ramsgate - 1 East Cliff Terrace after living in Brighton, Victoria, Australia(?). 2nd wife: Believed married at *Windsor, Australia to Mary Grant sister of Henry Grant -'Sydney Hyrst', Croydon. *The Argus Melbourne (14th April 1888)/The Australian (Melbourne) (Sat 21st April 1888) - Marriage - ROSS-GRANT On the 5th April 1888 at WINDSOR (Australia) by the Rev C Strong DD, Rear-Admiral John Francis Ross, RN., to Mary sister of H Grant Esq., Sydney Hyrst, Croydon, England. Wife's father given as Jackson Grant He married his 1st wife - Caroline Ross in Portsea, Hampshire 1856 - she died 08 Feb 1888 (1886?) at Putney Common, London -Globe Newspaper 8th Feb 1888 John Francis Francis Ross (abt. 1821 - 1899) also address 6 Albion Place, Ramsgate - Son: Henry James Gordon Ross born 1861 in Liverpool Some details may need amending - any further info gladly received