Five-masted American barquentine MONTEREY in Sydney Harbour
This photograph depicts the American barquentine MONTEREY in Sydney Harbour, with Clark Island to the left and Fort Denison in the distance to the right. Formerly the British wool clipper ship CYPROMENE, the vessel was built in 1878 and broken up in 1937.
This photo is part of the Australian National Maritime Museum’s Samuel J. Hood Studio collection. Sam Hood (1872-1953) was a Sydney photographer with a passion for ships. His 60-year career spanned the romantic age of sail and two world wars. The photos in the collection were taken mainly in Sydney and Newcastle during the first half of the 20th century.
If reproduced or distributed, this image should be clearly attributed to the collection of the Australian National Maritime Museum; and not be used for any commercial or for-profit purposes without the permission of the museum. For more information see our Flickr Commons Rights Statement.
The ANMM undertakes research and accepts public comments that enhance the information we hold about images in our collection. This record has been updated accordingly.
Photographer: Samuel J. Hood Studio Collection
Object no. 00024643
Helena Rubinstein and her husband Prince Gurielli-Tchkonia in Sydney, Australia, 31 October 1938 / photographer Sam Hood
"With seventeen trunks full of clothes ... Princess Gurielli-Tchkonia, better known as Madame Helena Rubinstein, arrived in Sydney by the Monterey yesterday. ... Madame Rubinstein was wearing a smart black Schiaparelli suit ... hat by Suzy, Paris"" (Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday 1 November 1938)
Find more detailed information about this photograph: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemDetailPaged.aspx?itemID=153446
Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx
From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au
Monterey, Sydney NSW
Sydney, Monterey, California, March 2014
9M-MNA MH A380 16R YSSY-5349
Malaysia 122 banking away 16R Sydney Airport for Kuala Lumpur (KUL/WMKK)
VH-OQC QF A380 16R YSSY-5606
Qantas 1 to Dubai (DXB/OMDB) and London Heathrow (LHR/EGLL) cleaning up after departing 16R Sydney Airport (SYD/YSSY) late in the afternoon with some dramatic skies about.
The Alhambra... not
Sydney water restrictions = succulent abundance
9M-MNA MH A388 16R YSSY-5325
MH122 departing 16R in Sydney (SYD/YSSY)
Bird of paradise - in Monterey, Sydney
G-STBD BA B77W 16R YSSY-5447
'Speedbird 16' from British Airways banking after departing 16R for Singapore (SIN/WSSS) and London Heathrow (LHR/EGLL).
Sunrise Monterey, California style
On the coast line of California the sun rises mostly from behind the beach, something I'm not used to coming from Sydney. This was taken just after dawn and I was lucky to be able to catch these gulls in the early rays.
old negs_monterey, sydney_1971
we lived next to a fish 'n' chip shop when i was growing up. they were ubiquitous in sydney back then. this is me with theo the fish 'n' chip shop man
Monterey, Sydney, New South Wales
Carrington Hotel #3
Carrington Hotel c.1882
Katoomba, Blue Mountains
The Carrington Hotel is a four storey building & is one of the finest resort hotels in the State.
The facade is richly decorated with a Art Nouveau glazing & a wall of stained glass.
The Italianate balcony is set on columns over a paved piazza.
The Central Dining Hall measures an impressive 40 feet by 60 feet, with panelled plaster ceiling,
timber dado, high columns, and a row of windows on each side with a panel of etched glass & stained glass surrounds.
The Billiard Room & adjoining double lounge features brick fireplaces & stained glass windows.
The former Library is decorated in Edwardian style with wide shelves for the display of fine china & features lead glazed bookshelves.
The Ballroom was decorated in the 20’s in the Adam style.
The Cocktail Lounge is illuminated by an impressive Art Nouveau stained glass dome.
The Central Hall features two bronzed torches.
The ‘wing’ Bedroom Suites are impressive & feature private bathroom, built-in wardrobes & lead & coloured glass windows.
Lounge areas are furnished with writing desks, long settees & ottomans.
Bathrooms have exotic Art Nouveau glazing on their doors.
The grounds of the Carrington Hotel feature a sweeping driveway loop with sandstone gatte posts, terraced gardens, paths, lawns & paved areas.
The gardens feature mature plantings of Bunya Pines, Monterey Pines, Magnolias, Beech trees. rose gardens & a stone seat .
Originally there was a tennis court, croquet lawns & timbered gazebos & pergolas.
The grounds of the Carrington, particularly the forecourt to Katoomba Street, have been an important meeting place
for the local community, marking special events including the re-enactment of the first crossing of the Blue Mountains (1813).
Originally known as the Great Western Hotel when it was built in 1882.
The grand old hotel was built for Sydney hotelier Harry Rowell by F. Drewett (from Lithgow)
The building was designed by Kirkpatrick & Bosser.
The location In Katoomba is a prominent situated on virtually the highest point in the town.
In 1886 the hotel was renamed The Carrington by its new owner F.C Goyder,
in honour of Lord Carrington who was Governor of NSW, and often stayed on weekends at the hotel.
Goyder also extended the building, upgraded facilities, & was responsible for the creation of The Grand Dining Room.
By the early 1900’s The Carrington was regarded as the premier tourist resort in the Southern Hemisphere,
and it’s reputation in The British Empire even rivalled Raffles Hotel in Singapore.
In 1908, Prince Edward of Wales stayed at the hotel.
The power station at the rear of the Carrington was built in 1910.
Importantly, it provided the first electricity supply not only to the Carrington, but to Katoomba & other Blue Mountains towns.
The boiler for the power station was transported by train from Sydney, and was previously used in the Arcadia Hotel.
The Carrington was sold in 1911 to Sir James Joynton Smith, who added the famous stained glass facade.
The hotel became well-known as the honeymoon capital of the Sydney area, and enjoyed this reputation for the next half century.
The Duke & Duchess of York visited the hotel in 1927.
Theo Morris, a developer, bought the hotel in 1969.
Tourism in the Blue Mountains was in decline in the 1970’s & this took its toll on the Carrington.
The doors of The Carrington closed in 1985 & the hotel remained derelict & empty till 1991.
The Carrington re-opened her doors in 1998 after 8 years of restoration work.
The Carrington Hotel is the only 19th century grand resort hotel still in use in NSW, and possibly Australia.
Monterey - Turquoise
SS Mariposa, Cruise Ship, Pacific Far East Line
Postmarked October 22, 1974.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Name: SS Mariposa
Operator: Matson Lines
Builder: Fore River Shipyard, Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation
Maiden voyage: 16 January 1932
In service: 1932, as SS Mariposa
1953, as SS Homeric
Fate: Scrapped in 1974
Type: Ocean liner
Tonnage: 18,017 GRT
Length: 632 ft (193 m)
Beam: 79 ft (24 m)
Propulsion: 2 × Bethlehem geared steam turbines, 28,450 shp (21,215.16 kW)
Speed: 22.84 knots (42.30 km/h; 26.28 mph)
Capacity: 704 passengers (475 first class, 229 cabin class)
SS Mariposa was a luxury ocean liner launched in 1931; one of four ships in the Matson Lines "White Fleet" which included SS Monterey, SS Malolo and SS Lurline. It was later renamed the SS Homeric.
Career with Matson Lines
SS Mariposa was designed for service in the Pacific Ocean including regular stops in ports along the West Coast of the United States, Hawaii, Samoa, Fiji, New Zealand and Australia. Her maiden voyage began 16 January 1932 in New York City where she sailed to Havana, transited the Panama Canal and berthed in the Port of Los Angeles before continuing on to tour ten more countries in the south and west Pacific.
In World War II she operated under the War Shipping Administration with allocation and close association with the U.S. Army, though not officially a U.S. Army Transport (U.S.A.T.), serving as a fast troop carrier, bringing supplies and support forces to distant shores as well as rescuing persons stranded in foreign countries by the outbreak of war. Mariposa, with Navy designated troop capacity of 4,165 and speed of 20.5 knots, was one of the very large, fast transports, the largest nicknamed "Monsters," usually sailing without escort.
26 December 1941 left Honolulu, Hawaii loaded with some military personnel and many military dependents accompanied by a destroyer escort and arrived in San Francisco 1 January 1942.
12 January 1942 Mariposa left San Francisco in the "Australian — Suva" convoy escorted by two destroyers and the light cruiser USS Phoenix with two other troopships SS President Coolidge and the SS President Monroe (destined for Suva).[Note 1] This was the first large convoy to Australia after Pearl Harbor with Mariposa transporting Army personnel, ammunition and, combined with Coolidge, fifty P-40 fighters intended for the Philippines and Java. The thirteen officers selected by the War Department to form the core of what was to become MacArthur's headquarters in the Southwest Pacific Area Command being formed in Australia as United States Army Forces in Australia (USAFIA), known as the "Remember Pearl Harbor" Group, were embarked in Coolidge and Mariposa. Most troops and equipment were intended to be sent on from Australia to the American-British-Dutch-Australian Command (ABDA) area after the Australian bound ships reached Melbourne on 1 February 1942. 35th Pursuit Group commander Clinton D. "Casey" Vincent was aboard. Mariposa made a brief stop 2 February 1942 in Melbourne before proceeding on to Perth The ship had been due to continue on with the Army fighter group to India but was withdrawn and the personnel and cargo transshipped into the two Australian transports Duntroon and Katoomba.
19 March 1942 left San Francisco for Australia in a convoy that included RMS Queen Elizabeth
28 May 1942 left Charleston, South Carolina stopping in Freetown for a week and Cape Town for a short stay before heading for Karachi
September 1942 arrived Karachi. The Mariposa arrived in New York City in early September with more than 100 American Volunteer Group (Flying Tigers) pilots and ground personnel aboard. They had been denied transport back to the United States on half-empty transport planes by the U.S Ferry Command.
21 December 1942 left Newport News, Virginia unescorted carrying 5,000 military passengers
3 January 1943: Overnight refueling at Rio de Janeiro
26 January 1943: Aden for overnight refueling
27 January 1943 disembarked outside Massawa
27 February 1943 disembarked Bombay
10 April 1943 arrived New York
15 April 1943 left Brooklyn Navy Yard for Casablanca carrying military medical units and troops including some Tuskegee Airmen
24 April 1943 arrived Casablanca, French Morocco
mid November 1943 left Sydney Harbour bound for San Francisco. Duration 16 days. Among the passengers was the prominent Dutch pilot Ivan Smirnov (Romanized to "Smirnoff"). No Convoy.
late 1943 Los Angeles to Hobart, Tasmania with near-mutinous passengers due to bad food
26 December 1943 docked Hobart
early 1944 docked Bombay
9 March 1944 departed Los Angeles
8 April 1944 arrived Bombay
13 April 1944 left Bombay for Boston
23 May 1944 arrived Boston, MA
Spring 1944 New York to North Africa
8 August 1944 left Boston for Liverpool; sailed alone
14 August 1944 arrived Liverpool
30 August 1944 left Boston for Liverpool; sailed alone
7 September 1944 arrived Liverpool
1 December 1944 left Boston for Marseilles; sailed alone
10 December 1944 arrived Marseilles
8 January 1945 left Boston for Marseilles
18 January 1945 arrived Marseilles
7 May 1945 en route to the US on VE Day
17 October 1945 left Le Havre for Boston bringing troops home
24 October 1945 arrived Boston
1946 Australia/New Zealand dependent voyages from Australia
20 February 1946 (WSA operation) departed Brisbane, Australia, with 882 dependents
11 April 1946 (WSA operation) departed Brisbane, Australia, with 769 dependents
31 May 1946 (WSA operation) departed Brisbane, Australia, with 802 dependents
11 July 1946 (WSA operation) departed Sydney, Australia, with 230 dependents
Career with Home Lines
In 1947 the ship was mothballed for six years at Union Iron Works in Alameda, California. Her engines were overhauled by Todd San Francisco Division. Home Lines bought her and renamed her SS Homeric, sailing her to Trieste for reconstruction to allow 1243 passengers: 147 First Class and 1,096 tourist class. Gross register tonnage increased to 18,563. Total length increased to 641 feet (195.5 meters). Home Lines operated her beginning 24 January 1955 for liner service between ports in the north Atlantic. In 1964 she replaced the SS Italia to steam on the regular run between New York and Nassau, Bahamas, though she in turn was shortly replaced by SS Oceanic. SS Homeric was reassigned to intra-Caribbean cruises. In 1973, a major fire destroyed much of her galley and restaurant and she was scrapped in Taiwan in 1974. During the ship breaking process, her sister ship Ellinis (ex-Lurline) suffered major engine damage on a cruise to Japan; Chandris Lines was able to purchase one of the Mariposa engines from the ship breakers.
The SS President Coolidge was allocated to Navy by the War Shipping Administration (WSA) but never commissioned and thus was SS President Coolidge until sunk at Espiritu Santo 26 October 1942. The President Monroe was acquired and bareboat chartered by WSA, but not transferred to the Navy until 18 July 1943 and not commissioned until 20 August 1943 whereupon she became USS President Monroe (AP-104).
SS Malolo (1926)
SS Monterey (1931)
SS Lurline (1932)
SS Manoa (1913)
Navy Department—Headquarters of the Commander in Chief, United States Fleet,and Commander, Tenth Fleet 1945, p. 48.
Wardlow 1999, p. 166.
Grover 1987, pp. 4, 18 & 20.
Nimitz v.1: 7 December 1941–1 September 1942, Entries for 12 & 26 January 1942.
Mayo 1968, pp. 40—41.
Matloff 1953-59, p. 132.
1942 Troop Ship Crossings
McClure, Glenn E. Fire and Fall Back: the World War Two "CBI" story of "Casey" Vincent, p. 18. Universal City, Texas. Barnes Press. 1975.
Richard Baker. History of the 80th Depot Repair Squadron, 80th Air Depot Group
Gill 1957, pp. 601—602.
Eleazer, Wayne. Duncan's Hot Rod. Air Classics, May 2001
Smith, R.T. (1986). Tale of a Tiger. Van Nuys, California: Tiger Originals. pp. 355–57.
Massawa and Gura in WWII
"The Smirnoff's moves on to the USA". The Ivan Smirnoff Page. Retrieved 20 November 2013.
World War II through the eyes of the Cape Fear. Interview of James Louis Watters Transcript Number 226
CBI Order Of Battle 1365th MP Company (Avn) – 305 ASG; 1369th MP Company (Avn)
1944 Troop Ship Crossings
Vernon Joseph Baker We never had a chance. And yet we did it
1944 July–December Troop Ship Crossings
Masterson 1949, p. 306.
Detail on the SS Homeric
Gill, G. Hermon (1957). Royal Australian Navy 1939-1942. Australia in the War of 1939–1945. Series 2 – Navy 1. Canberra: Australian War Memorial. LCCN 58037940.
Grover, David (1987). U.S. Army Ships and Watercraft of World War II. Naval Institute Press. ISBN 0-87021-766-6. LCCN 87015514.
Masterson, Dr. James R. (1949). U. S. Army Transportation In The Southwest Pacific Area 1941-1947. Washington, D. C.: Transportation Unit, Historical Division, Special Staff, U. S. Army.
Matloff, Maurice; Snell, Edwin M. (1953–59). The War Department: Strategic Planning For Coalition Warfare 1941-1942. United States Army In World War II. Washington, DC: Center Of Military History, United States Army. LCCN 53-61477.
Mayo, Lida (1968). The Technical Services—The Ordnance Department: On Beachhead And Battlefront. United States Army In World War II. Washington, DC: Center Of Military History, United States Army. LCCN 79014631.
Navy Department—Headquarters of the Commander in Chief, United States Fleet,and Commander, Tenth Fleet (1945). "United States Naval Administration in World War II—History of Convoy and Routing". Naval History & Heritage Command. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
Nimitz, Chester W., Admiral (USN); Steele, James M., Captain (USN) (1942). ‘Gray Book’ — War Plans and Files of the Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Fleet; Running Estimate and Summary maintained by Captain James M. Steele, USN, CINCPAC staff at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, covering the period 7 December 1941–31 August 1942. 1 of 8 volumes. Operational Archives, Naval History and Heritage Command, Washington Navy Yard, Washington D.C.
Wardlow, Chester (1999). The Technical Services—The Transportation Corps: Responsibilities, Organization, And Operations. United States Army In World War II. Washington, DC: Center Of Military History, United States Army. LCCN 99490905.
Photo by Vicki Rogers.
The World is a 644-foot floating residential community of 165 units, ranging from $1 million studios to spaces of more than 3,200 square feet that go for $7.5 million. The World has been cruising the globe continuously since 2002. Life aboard The World is just the beginning of a lifestyle devoted to the new, the exciting, the adventure and the peace of allowing yourself into cultures and communities only witnessed on television documentaries. Spacious apartments fitted with all the accoutrements found in quality home design, a relaxed atmosphere and a never ending itinerary to the far reaches of the world are all combined to make The World a unique experience.
7 Jun 2009 to 9 Jun 2009 Monterey, California
10 Jun 2009 Captain's Choice
11 Jun 2009 to 13 Jun 2009 San Francisco, California
14 Jun 2009 to 15 Jun 2009 At Sea
16 Jun 2009 to 19 Jun 2009 Portland, Oregon
19 Jun 2009 to 20 Jun 2009 Astoria, Oregon
21 Jun 2009 At Sea
22 Jun 2009 to 24 Jun 2009 Seattle, Washington
25 Jun 2009 to 26 Jun 2009 Vancouver, British Columbia
27 Jun 2009 to 29 Jun 2009 Saltspring, British Columbia
29 Jun 2009 to 30 Jun 2009 Nanaimo, British Columbia
1 Jul 2009 to 2 Jul 2009 Port Alberni, British Columbia
3 Jul 2009 Port Angeles, Washington
3 Jul 2009 to 4 Jul 2009 Seattle, Washington
5 Jul 2009 to 6 Jul 2009 Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands, WA
7 Jul 2009 to 9 Jul 2009 Victoria, British Columbia
10 Jul 2009 At Sea
11 Jul 2009 Pender Harbour
12 Jul 2009 Cruising Jarvis Inlet
13 Jul 2009 to 16 Jul 2009 Vancouver, British Columbia
17 Jul 2009 to 20 Jul 2009 Captain's Choice - Fjord Cruising & Landings
21 Jul 2009 to 22 Jul 2009 Queen Charlotte Islands
23 Jul 2009 Prince Rupert, British Columbia
24 Jul 2009 Misty Fjord
24 Jul 2009 to 25 Jul 2009 Ketchikan, Alaska
26 Jul 2009 Wrangell, Alaska
27 Jul 2009 to 28 Jul 2009 Sitka, Alaska
29 Jul 2009 Cruising Tracy Arm
30 Jul 2009 Haines, Alaska
31 Jul 2009 to 1 Aug 2009 Juneau, Alaska
1 Aug 2009 Icy Strait Point
2 Aug 2009 At Sea
3 Aug 2009 Valdez, Alaska
4 Aug 2009 At Sea
5 Aug 2009 to 7 Aug 2009 Anchorage, Alaska
8 Aug 2009 Kodiak, Alaska
9 Aug 2009 to 10 Aug 2009 Cruising along the Shelikof Strait
11 Aug 2009 to 12 Aug 2009 Dutch Harbor, Alaska
13 Aug 2009 to 25 Aug 2009 Bering Sea Expedition
26 Aug 2009 Nome, Alaska
27 Aug 2009 Nome, Alaska
28 Aug 2009 International Date Line - Lose a day
29 Aug 2009 At Sea
30 Aug 2009 to 31 Aug 2009 Captain's Choice
1 Sep 2009 to 3 Sep 2009 At Sea
4 Sep 2009 to 5 Sep 2009 Petropavlovsk
6 Sep 2009 to 8 Sep 2009 At Sea
9 Sep 2009 to 11 Sep 2009 Otaru (Sapporo)
12 Sep 2009 At Sea
13 Sep 2009 to 14 Sep 2009 Vladivostok
15 Sep 2009 At Sea
16 Sep 2009 to 17 Sep 2009 Aomori
18 Sep 2009 At Sea
19 Sep 2009 to 22 Sep 2009 Tokyo
23 Sep 2009 to 24 Sep 2009 Yokohama
25 Sep 2009 At Sea
26 Sep 2009 to 28 Sep 2009 Kobe
29 Sep 2009 Sailing the Inland Sea
30 Sep 2009 to 1 Oct 2009 Nagasaki
2 Oct 2009 At Sea
3 Oct 2009 to 7 Oct 2009 Incheon (Seoul)
8 Oct 2009 At Sea
9 Oct 2009 to 10 Oct 2009 Dalian
11 Oct 2009 to 12 Oct 2009 At Sea
13 Oct 2009 to 16 Oct 2009 Shanghai
17 Oct 2009 to 18 Oct 2009 At Sea
19 Oct 2009 to 23 Oct 2009 Hong Kong
24 Oct 2009 At Sea
25 Oct 2009 to 26 Oct 2009 Bai Chay Town (Hanoi)
27 Oct 2009 to 28 Oct 2009 At Sea
29 Oct 2009 to 31 Oct 2009 Ho Chi Minh City
1 Nov 2009 to 2 Nov 2009 At Sea
3 Nov 2009 to 5 Nov 2009 El Nido, Palawan
6 Nov 2009 to 7 Nov 2009 Boracay
8 Nov 2009 to 11 Nov 2009 Manila
12 Nov 2009 to 14 Nov 2009 At Sea
15 Nov 2009 to 16 Nov 2009 Malakal
17 Nov 2009 to 19 Nov 2009 At Sea
20 Nov 2009 Papua New Guinea Expedition
21 Nov 2009 to 22 Nov 2009 Rabaul
23 Nov 2009 Walindi
24 Nov 2009 Captain's Choice
25 Nov 2009 to 26 Nov 2009 Madang
27 Nov 2009 At Sea
28 Nov 2009 Kitava Island (Trobriands)
29 Nov 2009 Alotau
30 Nov 2009 Port Moresbey
1 Dec 2009 to 2 Dec 2009 Captain's Choice
3 Dec 2009 At Sea
4 Dec 2009 to 5 Dec 2009 Cairns
5 Dec 2009 to 7 Dec 2009 Port Douglas
8 Dec 2009 Townsville
9 Dec 2009 to 10 Dec 2009 Captain's Choice
11 Dec 2009 At Sea
12 Dec 2009 to 14 Dec 2009 Whitsunday Islands
15 Dec 2009 At Sea
16 Dec 2009 Captain's Choice
17 Dec 2009 to 20 Dec 2009 Brisbane
21 Dec 2009 At Sea
22 Dec 2009 to 26 Dec 2009 Sydney
27 Dec 2009 Eden
28 Dec 2009 to 29 Dec 2009 Bateman's Bay
30 Dec 2009 Jervis Bay
31 Dec 2009 Sydney
Monterey - Turquoise
Monterey - 15 August 2009. The Shire Flickr Group - Michael, Jason and I at Monterey Beach.
More soft dawn light at the Monterey breakwall.
Captured 15 August 2009 | Nikon D300 + Tokina 12-24mm F4 AT-X PRO + Cokin P121M + Polarizing filter | f11 @ 4 sec.
You can see this photo and others in higher resolution at my photoblog Creamy Bokeh.
The last run of the Forster - Tuncurry punt on July 18th 1959. Colin Blows at the helm of the guiding vessel "Monterey" - launch Britannia in the background
The history of the punts operating between Forster and Tuncurry has long been mis-reported. The following material has been prepared and researched by Chris Borough and Ron Madden. It is based on based on information painstakingly sourced from newspaper reports and the previous work of Philip Howard in 1995.
A recent publication written by Chris Borough covering the Forster Ferry Service has been published by the Great Lakes Historical Society, Tuncurry
More Forster Ferry images are contained in the ALBUM Forster - Tuncurry Ferry
Prior to the construction of a bridge in July 1959, crossing Cape Hawke Harbour at the mouth of Wallis Lake required vehicles to use the punt service that operated between Tuncurry and Forster. Most vehicular punts in NSW operated independently using cables. The Forster-Tuncurry punts, however, were close-coupled to a motor launch as shifting sandbanks had to be negotiated to make the crossing between the two towns.
The first of three punts that were used to provide the service commenced operation in late 1924 and remained in continuous service for nine years. This small punt was replaced in 1933 with a larger punt that was widened by two feet in 1935. The original was retained as a backup until a third and still larger punt was introduced in late 1938. That third punt began operation on Christmas Eve 1938 with the punt that was widened in 1935 kept in reserve. Both remained in service until the opening of the Forster – Tuncurry bridge.
Prior to 1924, regular ferry services operated, but only for passengers. The first commenced operation by July 1890 with an open rowing boat conveying passengers (and a sulky if needed). The demand for a proper ferry service was strong. In 1905 a petition from Forster residents asked the Government to establish an oil-launch ferry service between Tuncurry and Forster, instead of the boat ferry, which was totally inadequate…(SMH Friday 10 November 1905).
By 1907, travellers from Bungwahl could pick up the ferry service provided by an oil launch at the southern edge of Wallis Lake (Charlotte Bay), that would drop them either at Forster or Tuncurry (SMH 26th October 1907). A regular passenger ferry service was also being operated that year by an oil launch running between Forster and Tuncurry, conveying passengers for a 1d return fare (SMH 26th Oct 1907).
Horses, however, still had to be swum across (Maitland Daily Mercury 4th May 1909) . We left our horses and vehicles at Tuncurry and crossed over to Forster in the ferry. During the day the rest of the party employed themselves in swimming the horses across the river and floating the buggies over in boats, and had quite an exciting and arduous time. One of Mr. Bramble's horses was too scared to swim, and was nearly drowned. One of the boats, with a sulky on board, got aground, and took some time to get off.
It was not until February 1924 that Manning Shire Council granted permission for Charlie Blows to provide and operate a combined private passenger and car punt service between Tuncurry and Forster (SMH 22nd Feb 1924). Blows undertook to build and maintain the approaches, as well as provide a vehicular ferry, capable of carrying three and a half to four tons (SMH 22 Feb 1924). Blows’ punt service began operations in November 1924 - Mr. Chas. Blows has installed a new vehicular ferry between Tuncurry and Forster. As a consequence, motor cars are now a common sight at Forster (Dungog Chronicle 18 November 1924.)
Howard (1995) records that Blows had Tuncurry boat-builder, Dave Williams build both a small punt and a launch (commonly, but somewhat misleadingly, termed a “tow” launch) to propel same. No details of the punt and its construction have been located but a newspaper report appears to confirm that it was constructed specifically for the operation. This is a direct road to Newcastle by car, and is considerably shorter than any other road from Forster to Sydney. It will be largely used for through traffic when the vehicle ferry, which has been sanctioned and is now being constructed, is running between Tuncurry and Forster across Wallamba River (SMH 15th April 1924).
With a load capacity of around 4 tons, it is estimated that Blows’ punt was 22 feet in length. It was able to transport one large car or two very small cars, end to end. The launch, originally named the Glen, was fitted with a 7 h.p. Kelvin engine; she was quickly re-named the Kelvin Glen by locals and this became her registered name.
Although the passenger service was subsidised by the Local Government Department, it was an expensive exercise to have a vehicle conveyed on the privately owned punt. Foot passengers were able to travel for free, however, for a one-way trip cars were charged 2/6, lorries 4/-, and horse-drawn vehicles 1/6. To put these fares in context, the average weekly wage in 1930 was £7 per week making a return journey by car of 5/- one fifth of a day’s wages. Any additional trips incurred fares for foot passengers, with one visitor complaining that he was forced to pay 1/- to get the “free” ferry from Tuncurry to take him the extra 150 yards from the terminus at Forster to the local hotel.
Prior to 1930, shipping was generally able to navigate key areas within Cape Hawke Harbour and the punt was usually able to cross readily between the two towns. In 1930, however, the NSW Government decided to remove the sand-pumping dredge “Forster” from the district after some thirty years of continuous service. Despite numerous representations, there was no sand-pumping between 1930 and 1938.
By 1930 there had already been general recognition that the private vehicular ferry service was unduly limited in terms of capacity and cost. In 1931 The Maitland Daily Mercury (23 February) reported: One of the biggest demonstrations of public protest in the history of Cape Hawke was witnessed last Saturday night at the Forster Hall when a most representative gathering assembled to express its disapproval of the manner in which the Stroud and Manning Shire Councils are dilly dallying with the question of the Forster Tuncurry Ferry Service. The meeting had been convened by the Progress Associations of Forster and Tuncurry to voice their dissatisfaction of both Councils, in not carrying into vogue the dictum put forth by the Minister for Local Government in July last, that the vehicular ferry that serves the two towns should be absolutely free and that the existing charges be abolished.
A visitor to Tuncurry recalled his experience (Dungog Chronicle: 9 February 1932) “In the morning we crossed the quarter mile or so of water round the sandbanks to Forster. The punt is a two-car one, and is towed over by C. Blows, who runs the free ferry for foot passengers. It cost 2/6 each way for the car, and thereby hangs a confession. I forgot to pay when going back, and Charlie Blows did not remind me.”
After years of wrangling between the Stroud and Manning Shire Councils and the Transport Commission (formerly the Main Roads Board and by the end of 1932 the Main Roads Department), it was decided to terminate the private ferry service and have a replacement punt provided by Manning Shire Council. A suggestion in 1932 to lengthen Blows’ punt was not followed up and before the year was out it was found that a thirty to forty year old punt that had been operating on the Manning River was available to be relocated. The cost of having the punt transported to Forster and its operation were to be shared by the three statutory bodies. Tenders to provide a launch and operate the new punt service were called and on June 30th 1933 the successful tenderer, Frederick Parsons was announced. Fred’s bid of £375/annum was the lowest. Because the new punt was some ten feet longer than the Blows’ punt (32 ft vs approx. 22 ft), and it could carry three small cars or two large cars and had a load capacity of 6 tons, a more powerful launch was required.
Blows’ contract with the original punt was extended until 17th October 1933 when Parsons finally began operations with his new launch and the council supplied punt (Howard 2009). The modern and powerful launch - the Pacific was built by Frank Avery. As reported (Dungog Chronicle 7 November 1933). The new ferry service which is now in the control of Mr. Fred Parsons has had its baptism; and the little difficulties that might be expected at the outset with the most experienced have been surmounted. Mr. Parsons' new launch has a length of 28 feet, a beam of 8 feet and a depth of 3 feet moulded. All timbers and stringers are of spotted gum, with beech planking. The launch is copper fastened and is fitted with water tight bulk heads according to the regulations of the Navigation Department. It is fitted with an 18h.p. Lister-Diesel engine and is a great credit to the builder, Mr Frank Avery, of Tuncurry. The most pleasing aspect of the new service, of course, is the substantial reduction in the charges for cars and other vehicles, as compared with the former contract. Previously, to convey a car across from Forster to Tuncurry cost 2/6; the new charge is 1/-. The new rate has already been responsible for increased traffic, as many people hesitated to come across and back when it involved a toll of 5/-.
In 1935 the Department of Main Roads and the two Councils involved in providing the service agreed to have the punt widened by 2ft to enable cars to be parked side by side and thus allow four vehicles to be carried at one time. Well respected boat-builder, Henry Miles, was contracted to do the job. As reported in the Dungog Chronicle Tuesday 26 November 1935; There will be general jubilation at the news that the ferry which plies, between Forster and Tuncurry is to be enlarged, says the Taree Times. Under a triple authority (Main Roads Board, Manning and Stroud Shires) it takes time to finalise things like this, but it has been done. The ferry is to be widened to take four cars, two abreast. The work has been entrusted to that well-known and expert shipbuilder, Mr. Harry [Henry] Miles, of Forster, and when he finishes with it there will be no complaints, for Mr. Miles does his work one way — thoroughly. It is intended to split the ferry from end to end and put in another 2ft., which will ensure that the ferry will then accommodate two of the biggest cars abreast, which was not possible in the past. It is expected that the ferry will go on the slip on Thursday next, and be off in two or three weeks. In the meantime traffic will be maintained as usual, Mr. Charlie Blows' punt having been engaged for the purpose.
A year later and a minor crisis: Blow’s old punt that was put into service as a temporary measure while the new punt was being overhauled, sank. The Dungog Chronicle (Tuesday 17 November 1936) reported: - Vehicular traffic between Tuncurry and Forster was held up from about 1 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon until 4 on Thursday afternoon. The new contract for this service is to commence at the beginning of December, and the ferry in general use was put on Mr. Henry Miles' slip on Tuesday to undergo the usual overhaul before commencing on the new contract. The old punt with which Mr. Charlie Blows inaugurated the service [in 1924] was requisitioned and started in the service about 2 on Tuesday afternoon. All went well until about 1 p.m. on Wednesday, while the ferry was tied up on the Tuncurry side, a Chev. lorry, loaded with skimmed milk from the Tuncurry butter factory, boarded the ferry. At the same time the driver of a car wanted to cross and the ferry man asked the man in charge of the lorry to move it over to the side a little more than it was. When this was done one corner of the punt developed a list, which in turn gave the lorry, and its contents, a list, with the result that the corner of the punt went under water and quickly submerged. The lorry was also under water. The services of another lorry were engaged to pull it out. Later in the day the ferry was raised and removed to Mr. Miles' slip, for examination and repairs if necessary . A grainy photograph of the accident scene that appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald (4 November 1936) suggests that the small punt may have needed more than just minor repairs.
By early 1937, Manning Shire Council was well aware of public concerns with the safety of the service (Dungog Chronicle Friday 21 May 1937). Council was advised that in October 1936 the punt had grounded on a sand bank and been carried quite some distance after it was re-floated; the anchor being unable to hold. At the time, the Press had reported that the method of transport was entirely out of date and that it had caused a wave of fear amongst the public.
The Council was well aware that it’s widened 32ft long punt simply couldn't cope with the sheer volume of traffic that was presenting during the annual holiday season and had thus reached its use-by date. As a result, a formal proposal was made to the Department of Main Roads for the purchase of an additional 4-car punt to facilitate the provision of a permanent two punt service; the Department formally declined the proposal on 2 September 1937. (SMH 14 January 1938). Council subsequently decided to try and rent or buy a replacement punt and in October 1937 an advertisement that sought the lease of a punt for three months over the summer season appeared in the press (Newcastle Morning Herald Saturday 23 October 1937). Unable to rent or buy a replacement punt, however, the decision was made to have a replacement built. Initial plans for a new punt were submitted to the DMR on 23rd November 1937 (SMH 14 January 1938).
With the wheels of the bureaucracy slowly turning, matters regarding the punt service went from bad to worse. The punt that had commenced operation in 1933 and was widened by Henry Miles in 1935, sunk spectacularly on 5th January 1938. The report from the Dungog Chronicle of Tuesday 11 January 1938 described the fact that a drowning fatality was avoided, as a miracle! On the punt was Joe Fazio’s bus with twelve passengers aboard, a sedan car with five passengers and a truck. As soon as the punt took off from the wharf at around 8 am the nose of the punt dipped and it seemed likely that the punt would capsize. The passengers in the car climbed onto the roof of the bus and finally all passengers escaped via the ferry to shore. This event created an outcry for the replacement of the existing ferry with a larger and more dependable ferry service.
The public relations debacle appears to have jolted the bureaucrats into action and tenders for the construction of a 40 foot punt were called in 1938 (SMH Friday 4 March 1938). It took, however, until September that year for the Councils to secure the services of Frank Avery to supervise the construction of a new punt using day labour (Dungog Chronicle: Friday 16 September 1938). The new service was launched on 24th December 1938, just in time for the holiday season (Dungog Chronicle Tuesday 24 January 1939).
Although the load limit for the new punt was raised to ten tons in 1939, officially it was still only able to handle four cars – a point made clearly by the NRMA (The Maitland Daily Mercury Friday 10 February 1939): “An N.R.M.A. country inspector who recently travelled over the coastal route from Bulahdelah to Taree by way of Forster and Tuncurry. Commenting on the new punt between Forster and Tuncurry, the Association says that there is little improvement on the old vehicle. The new vessel accommodates four cars and is towed by a motor launch. Thus the journey from one side of the lake to the other takes just as long now as when the old punt was operating.”.
The four car service was propelled by the Pacific until 1st July 1940 when Wylie Gregory won the tender to provide the service. He arranged for Forster boatbuilder, Dave Williams to build a heavy-duty low-line boat - the Britannia - or alternatively spelled Brittania (Howard 1995). The war years, however, soon started to impact on Wylie’s operations. In August 1941 he advised Manning Shire Council that he would terminate his contract in view of decreased traffic owing to petrol rationing. Negotiations followed that resulted in Wylie continuing the operation under changed conditions.
On 1st June 1947 the tender for the vehicle ferry service was won by H.M. Cooke of Forster and it appears that he purchased the Brittania from Gregory, On 15th June 1949 the contract was won by C.A. Blows and Sons. The Brittania was purchased from Cooke, but almost immediately the firm contracted Alf Jahnsen and Leo Royan to build a new launch, the Monterey - named after the local cafe ran by Charlie Blows. In the 1950s the availability of two launches and two punts allowed considerable flexibility for the management of the service. Although the punt that was widened in 1935 was initially only retained as a back-up, with the availability of a second launch, sanity eventually prevailed and the old punt was brought out of mothballs each summer so that a two punt service could be provided during the peak holiday season.
Despite the last punt (built in 1938) being described as only having a capacity to carry four cars, it is commonly believed to have had a capacity to convey six cars. Indeed there are photos in Philip Howard's book showing six cars squeezed onto the punt with vehicles partly standing on the rear ramp with the rear gates open. Graham Nicholson (personal communication) recalls many occasions when six vehicles were squeezed onto the ferry and the front and rear gates "closed" accordingly – possibly not by the book, but effective!
Punt operations ceased with the opening of the Forster-Tuncurry bridge on July 18th 1959. So ended the service once memorably described: "It must be the most antedated, most unreliable and unsafe method of crossing a river anywhere in Australia." (SMH Friday 5 November 1954)
Image Source - This image has been made available through the Great Lakes Museum
The Great Lakes Museum in Tuncurry, NSW, contains a wealth of photos, models and information related to the shipping heritage of the Great Lakes.
References - Howard, P. (1995). The ferrymen: the history of the Forster-Tuncurry passenger and vehicular ferry service from 1890 to 1959 - by Philip Howard.
Acknowledgements. Chris Borough and Ron Madden undertook the detailed research that was the basis for this contribution.
All Images in this photostream are Copyright - Great Lakes Manning River Shipping and/or their individual owners as may be stated above and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or used in any way without prior written approval.
GREAT LAKES MANNING RIVER SHIPPING, NSW - Flickr Group --> Alphabetical Boat Index --> Boat builders Index --> Tags List
Postcard Sydney 1941_RMS Monterey
1940s Postcard:- Bearing the flag of the Royal Mail Ship/RMS Monterey passes under Sydney harbour bridge.
My father, together with enlisted men with the RAAF, boarded the SS Monterey in Sydney on November 13, 1941. The SS Monterey was a South Pacific cruise ship and the men travelled as ordinary passengers, calling into port at Auckland, Fiji, Samoa, and Hawaii and San Francisco where they disembarked and travelled onto Vancouver, Canada, then by rail to their training camps.
The United States had not entered the war at this time. Pearl Harbour was bombed on the morning of December 7, 1941 by Japanese aircraft. On 16 December 1941 the SS Monterey travelled to Hawaii with troops, and returned with 800 casualties of the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Extract from website - In the 1920s and 1930s ocean liners reached a peak of expansion and the great Matson line built the Monterey and her maiden voyage was on 3rd June 1932. She and the Mariposa inaugurated the new South Pacific service from San Francisco to Hawaii, New Zealand and Australia. After her years with Matson Line she continued in service for a variety of owners before sinking off South Africa in 2000 while under tow to the ship breakers.
Refs: 0753 from 1940s Album