Railway Institute Building c.1891
See where this picture was taken. [?]
Tenders were invited in February 1890 for the erection of the building, and the contract was signed with builder Thomas Henley on 9 April, 1890. Later that month a circular prepared at the recommendation of the committee noted that the Institute itself was to be "worked upon similar lines" to the Railwayman's Institute at Crewe in England, thus acknowledging its English precedents.
As documented, the building comprised a large lecture hall with stage and platform on the first floor and a Class Room, Reading Room, Coffee Room and Smoking Room disposed along a central corridor. An entry porch and stair hall were at the western end of the building whilst a caretaker's bedroom, kitchen, scullery and escape stair were at the eastern end.
A tarpaulin shed on the site was demolished to make way for the new building, which ended up costing 3,600 pounds, significantly less than the 5,000 pounds allowed for it. Progress was slower than anticipated, but in October 1890 it was decided to seek permission to install electric lighting as well as gas. The Commissioner did not approve the variation.
In January 1891 some minor modifications were approved. Correspondence received by the Committee from the Commissioners allowed " of tiling the Porch & erecting Ladies' w.c. and asphalting yard & also removing gates into Goods yard and extending dwarf wall and railway along the side of building."
On the evening of Saturday, 14 March, 1891, the Railway Institute building was formally opened, "...when the interior presented a most attractive appearance, being profusely adorned with floral decorations and Chinese lanterns. The lecture hall was crowded with railway employees, every branch of the service being represented, and among the visitors on the platform were the Hon. Sir Henry Parkes, G.C.M.G., Colonial Secretary and Premier; the Hon. W. McMillan, Colonial Treasurer and Minister for Railways; Mr E.M.G. Eddy, Chief Railway Commissioner...Mr C.A. Goodchap, M.L.A., ex-Commissioner for Railways. Professor Selman of the Sydney Technical College...the others, including many leading citizens who had taken an interest in the movement."
It was the first Railway Institute to be opened in Australia.
Parramatta River, Gladesville Bridge, Bays & Suburbs, Sydney to Adelaide Flight
© All Rights Reserved - Black Diamond Images
In late September 2014 we flew to Adelaide from Sydney before hiring a car and driving south to Kangaroo Island and then along the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne.
The Parramatta River is an important lifeline to the city of Sydney and its harbour with many bays along the rivers scenic course.
Suburbs shown in this image include Gladesville top left, Gladesville, Bridge top right,Abbotsford & Chiswick centre,Cabarita left,Drummoyne right bottom,Woolich, Longueville & Hunters Hill top right.
NB - I have added notes which can be viewed using the Safari Browser.
I - K - Historical Bristol Street Directory 1871
Mathews' Bristol Street Directory 1871
Institution Avenue, bottom of Park Street
Island Court, Penn Street
Ivy Place, Chapel Street, St. Philips
Ivy Street, Green Street, Hotwells
Jacob Street, top of Old Market Street to Tower Hill
1. Samuel Carter, tailor
2. Zachariah Cann, mason and builder .
3. Edwin Lyddon, cabinet maker
4. Rhoda Griffths, hat trimmer
5. John Calloway, porter
6. Henry Bowditch
7. James Crook
William. J. Rogers, Jacob St. Brewery www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/2056975868/in/photolis...
Samuel Hosegood, ale & porter stores
Thomas Sanders, carpenter & builder
Frederick Henry Ball, maltster
William Howe, painter
R. P. Forlong & Co., manure works
John L. Capenhurst, horse-hair seating manufacturer
Thomas Dean, engineer
John Dash, cooper
Bristol Sugar Refinery Co.
Jane Tyler, haulier
Emma Gould, grocer
William Henry Smith, cork cutter
William Jefferies, engineer, pump maker, etc
Samuel Whittaker, baker & grocer
John Hobbs, greengrocer, etc
John Allen, poulterer
George Williams, cork manufacturer
John H. Sanger vict, Golden Bowl (Ball) (pub) 1794. Sarah Emmett / 1806 - 16. John Easterbrook / 1820. Elizabeth Easterbrook / 1822 - 44. George Baker / 1847 - 55. James Carter 1856 to 1865. Samuel Tyler jnr / 1866 to 1868. George Hale / 1869 to 1878. John Hill Sanger / 1879 - 83. James Bird 1885 - 88. Emily Nash / 1889 to 1891. John Jeffery / 1892 - 1901. James Bowery / 1904. George Osborne / 1906. Mary Hannah Powell 1909. Frederick Wood / 1914 - 28. Joseph Showering / 1931. George Martin / 1935. Thomas Head / 1937 - 38. Doris May Masters 1944. Henry Fry / 1950 - 53. Leonard Davis. Samuel Tyler, who also traded as a haulier was declared bankrupt in 1865.
Joseph Cole, vict, The Good Intent (pub) 1867. Thomas Thomas / 1868 - 96. Joseph Cole.
John Llewellyn, vict, Three Compasses (pub) 1792 - 94. William Haynes / 1800. Abraham Kepple / 1806. William Woodland / 1816. Matthew Joseph / 1820 - 23. Richard Holt 1828 - 34. Thomas Prosser / 1837 - 44. John Easterbrook / 1847 - 48. John Wyatt / 1849. Eliza Wyatt / 1853 - 58. Samuel Curtis 1860 - 63. Samuel Llewellin / 1863 to 1876. John Llewellin / 1877 - 83. James Small / 1885. Alfred R. Bird / 1886. Thomas Taylors.
Jacob Street (New), top of Old Market Street to Tower Hill
Jacobs Wells, Hotwell Road to Berekley Place
Mark Hookings, dairyman
Thomas Alfred King
W. Hardige, chimney sweeper
Merrick and How, hay & corn dealers
J. Hicks, greengrocer
T. Baker, shopkeeper, Devonshire house
Mary Hatton, shopkeeper
W. Hodges, boot maker
Bellvue Girl's School
Fire Escape Station
John Mackrcll, shoeing forge
Thomas Brooks, haulier
E. Lovell, grocer
Ann Hodge, marine stores dealer
Charlotte Manley, grocer
Mrs Gibbons, laundress
Mrs Sullivan, laundress
Samuel Morris, haulier
F. Winscombe, grocer
Robert A. Baynton, greengrocer
James Vivian, ale and porter store
W. Hayns, coal dealer, etc
Mitchell & Davis, ceiling lath makers
Brandon Hill Police Station
R. Rogers, gardener
G. Williams, boot maker
J. Morgan, vict, Hope & Anchor (pub) 1800. Philip Elliott / 1806 - 33. John Elliott / 1834. J. Osborne / 1837. C. Willett / 1839 - 48. Edward Rowe / 1849 - 51. F. Bowbeer 1851. Jane Banbier / 1853 - 54. John Burge / 1855 to 1860. James Hill / 1861 - 65. Elizabeth Hill / 1867 - 91. John Morgan 1892 - 99. Mary Webb / 1901 - 04. Mrs. M. Morse / 1906. William Lintern / 1909 - 14. Martha Lintern / 1921. Albert Blake 1925 - 31. Ellen Blake / 1935. Francis Pratt / 1937. Joseph Haberfield / 1938 - 53. John Griffiths / 1975. R. Swetman. The 1861 census lists Elizabeth Hill as victualler & chimney sweeper employing 2 men and 2 boys.
J. Hobbs, vict, White Hart (pub) This old inn was demolished in 1877 and in its place in 1882 was built St.Peters Church, which in turn was demolished in 1939. On the site to-day stands a block of flats named St.Peters House. White Hart Steps to the left remain today leading to Clifton Wood. www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/7335398024/
Edwin Rowland, grocer, vict, Royal Oak (pub) 1853. Susan Fry / 1857 - 74. Edwin Rowland.
George Milton, vict, Bath Arms (pub) 1853. Edwin Rowland / 1854 to 1855. William Hurford / 1856 to 1860. Edward Evans / 1861 - 63. Ann Evans / 1865 - 72. George Milton 1874 - 75. Alfred Crayford / 1876. Harriett Peters / 1877 - 79. Mary Ann Langdon / 1882 - 87. John Williams 1888 - 94. Christine Bray / 1896 - 1909. George Norman / 1914 - 17. Harry Thomas / 1921. Frank Cox / 1925 - 28. Thomas Herbert 1931 - 38. Margaret Herbert.
Richard Hayden, vict, King William IV (pub) 1832 - 34. William Dawe / 1837. Elizabeth Dawe / 1851. William Dolling / 1853. Elizabeth Dolling / 1857 - 66. John Enwright 1868 - 69. Charlotte Manley / 1871 - 72. Richard Hayden. Elizabeth Dolling was also the proprietor of the cold baths, Jacob’s Wells.
Lewis Monkley, confectioner
Samuel Light, plumber & gasfitter
John Whaits, junior
George Braybrook. shoeing forge
John Whaits, wheelwright & general smith
Jamaica Street, King Square to Hillgrove Street
William Cowling, general haulier, Cleve house
W. Wilmot, carver
William Dunn, lodging house
Miss Gazard, ladies’ school
E. Green, tailor
Miss Evans, seminary
Thomas Jenkins, shipwright
William Hayward, carpenter
John Jewell, vict, Crown Tavern 1764 Mary Williams / 1775 William Bryan / 1794 James Culverworth / 1800 - 06 Thomas Brown / 1816 - 34 Robert Webb 1837 Joseph Jackson / 1839 - 40 J. Bounds / 1842 - 44 George Harding / 1847 Henry Watkins / 1848 - 49 William Angus 1851 Thomas Boardman / 1852 Alfred Iles / 1853 Ann Brown / 1854 - 57 Alfred Pool / 1859 George Price / 1860 W. H. Balch 1861 John Guy / 1863 Henry Everett / 1865 Charles Brook / 1866 - 69 John Mills / 1871 - 74 John Jewell / 1875 John Nicholas 1877 - 79 James Nash / 1881 - 83 John Galliford / 1885 - 87 William Heather / 1889 - 1904 Maria Heather / 1906 - 09 Arthur Vaughan 1914 - 21 Jane Hillier / 1925 - 35 William Peters / 1937 - 38 Wilfred Webb / 1940 Edward Godwin / 1940 Thomas Dermald 1944 - 53 Thomas King.
John Leworthy, vict, Bell, Hillgrove Street (pub) Still trading, the Bell is situated in the stretch of Hillgrove Street between Jamaica Street and Dalton Square. bristolslostpubs.eu/page191.html
Horse & Groom, Hillgrove Street (pub) 1839 - 40 Thomas Gay.
Union Tavern, Hillgrove Street (pub) 1842 W. Snow / 1844 - 47 Hannah Snow / 1848 to 1856 William Powell / 1857 to 1867 Hannah Powell / 1867 Samuel Clark 1868 - 69 Alfred York / 1871 - 83 John Atwell / 1885 - 1906 Ellen Wilkins / 1909 S. Cleak / 1914 Mary Woodbury.
Jamaica Terrace, 12, Jamaica Street
James' Back, Broadmead to Bridewell Street
James' Back (Little), Broadmead to Pithay
James' Court, Stillhouse Lane
James' Place, Green Street, Hotwells
James' Place, Union Road, Dings
James' Place, Portland Street, Clifton
James' Place, Kingsdown Parade
James' Street, Ashley Road to Grosvenor Road
Mrs Elizabeth Richards
William Joseph Pike
Pike, Vigor & Co. loan office
Joseph Edmund Davis house
Thomas William Woodland
E. B. Wood
Henry James Dyer
James Pearce Perry, reporter
James' Street, Pennywell Road
James' Street, Earl Street, St. James
Jarman's Court, Horsefair
Jeffery's Court, Host Street
Jenning’s Court, Kingsland Road
Jenning’s Court, Redcliif Hill
Jessamine Cottages, Brandon Hill
Jessamine Cottages, Stony Hill
John’s Bridge, Christmas Street
John’s Buildings, Dings
John’s Court, John Street, St. Philips
John’s Court, 6, (lower), Montague Street
John's Lane, Totterdown, to bottom of Pylle Hill
John's Lane, Ashley Hill
John’s Place, Lawrence Hill
John’s Steep, John Street to Bridewell Street
John Street, Broad Street to John’s Steep
Henry Vowles, tailors trimmings dealer
Henry Wimpenny, sewing machine depot
J. Weeks, copper-plate printer
Francis Tayler, hair dresser
J. Jones, perambulator & invalid chair manufacturer
Steadman & Co. wholesale boot manufacturer
James Adam Bethune, temp. hotel
Albert Pole, printer
Heaven and Bowman, solicitors
Harbour and Ross, law stationers
William Harrington Bush, solicitor
T. H. Bromly, sewing machinist, etc
Mrs Curry, school
John Francis, tailor, Arch house
F. Inman, boot maker
William Bennett, lithographer, etc
J. Hardwick, surveyor
Matthew H. Bessell, tax oﬂice
Hancock, Triggs & Co. accountants in bankruptcy
Edward Thelwell, barrister-at-law
Prideaux and Clark, solicitors
George Tonkin, tailor
Thomas Aplin, tailor
W. Glyde, solicitor
J. S. Pitt, accountant
Sarah Morris, tailor
Ann Hunt, vict, Bank Tavern (pub) The Bank Tavern is still trading, built around 1750 it was named to commemorate the opening of Bristol’s first bank which was on the corner of Broad Street and John Street. 1794 Mary Moore / 1800 William Gillett / 1822 W. Jones / 1823 - 28 Adam Barton / 1830 - 34 Henry Merry / 1837 - 39 William Brown 1840 Edwin Oliver / 1841 to 1849 William Merriman / 1849 to 1855 Evan Jenkins / 1856 William Coburn / 1859 - 66 John Wintle 1867 Delia Wintle / 1868 William Hawkins / 1869 J. Hunt / 1871 - 76 Ann Hunt / 1877 - 80 Joseph Harris / 1881 Augustus Simmons 1882 Michael Clune / 1883 Elizabeth Rice / 1885 - 89 Caroline Battle / 1891 Frederick Powles / 1892 to 1893 Edward Hartnett 1894 Caroline Battel / 1896 - 1901 Frederick Grigg / 1902 Ethel Mary Grigg / 1904 - 21 Frederick Jones / 1925 - 31 Leopold Painter 1935 - 53 Leonard Browne / 1975 M. A. Bond. Adam Barton also traded as a saw & tool maker in nearby All Saints’ Street.
John Street (Little), John Street to Tower Lane
John Street, Jacob Street to Broad Plain
James Wake, baker
William J. Rogers, maltster
John G. Usher
Timothy Freke, grocer
James John Shoat, vict, Three Crowns (pub) St.Philip & Jacob’s church which was just a stone’s throw from the Three Crowns. John Street ran from Jacob Street to Narrow Plain with Sloper‘s Lane leading through to St.Philip & Jacob’s church. This area was cleared in 1967 to make way for the Temple Way / Old Market roundabout scheme. bristolslostpubs.eu/page125.html
John Street, Upper Easton
George Heall, milliner & straw bonnet maker
George Willmot, grocer
Joseph Williams, baker, vict, Rising Sun (pub) 1874. James Johnson / 1878 - 93. Samuel Iles / 1899. William Sainsbury / 1904 - 35. Frederick Iles / 1937 - 50. Harold Perry 1953. William Tudgell.
Johny Ball Lane, Upper Maudlin Street to Lewins Mead
Johnson’s Court, Broadmead
Jones’ Court, 78, Hotwell Road
Jones’ Court, Frogmore Street
Jones’ Court, Avon Street, Temple
Jones’ Court, Pipe Lane, Temple
Jones’ Lane, Redcliff Street
Joy Hill, Hope Square
John W. Savage
Henry Hancock, Ivy cottage
Jubilee Buildings, Baptist Mills
Jubilee Court, Wilder Street
Jubilee Place, Redcliff Parade to Guinea Street
1. George Marshall, potato stores
2. Frederick Hodges
3. George Bevis, agent
8. William Blinkhorn, contractor
Jubilee Place, Baptist Mills
H. Castle, auction, vict, Duke of York (pub) (Botany Bay) 1828 - 33. James Baker / 1837 - 44. Edward Stretton / 1848 - 49. John Cook / 1851. Alfred Dumayne / 1853. B. Parker 1854 - 55. S.Turner / 1856. Thomas Harvey / 1858. Charles Collins / 1861. Hannah Young / 1863 - 68. George Wintle 1871 - 72. Henry Castle / 1874 - 77. Henry George Bishop / 1878. William Green / 1879. George Hows / 1882. W. Thomas 1883. Edwin Wright / 1888 - 1938. Samuel Roberts / 1944. Edward Sliney / 1950. John Sliney / 1953. Amelia Souls. listed in 1828 as the Duke Of York & Jubilee Tea Gardens.
Jubilee Place, North Street, Bedminster
Jubilee Plain, Baptist Mills
Jubilee Row, Baptist Mills
Jubilee Street, Horton Street
Kenilworth Terrace, Newtown, St. Philips
14. J. J. Bunnell
8. William Hedges
6. William Clark
5. Thomas Skinner
4. Henry Cock
2. James Pugsley
1. William Gillard
Kensington Place, Victoria Square
William Blinman Allen, Flora cottage
G. Dolman, Kensington mews
Mrs Sarah Holmes, Flora cottage
Mrs Ward, Newstead
Mrs Emma Jackson
Miss Sophia Phillpot
Miss Margaret Sealey
Miss Jane Garnett
Miss Eliz. B. Fry, Kensington lodge
?. Caynham villa
Kensington Villas, Richmond Park
1. John Bush
2. Miss Emily Maltby
Kent Villas, Horfield
Kent's Buildings, Frogmore Street
Keswick Buildings, Alma Road to Melrose Place, Whiteladies Road
Kilbon Street, Avon Street, St. Philip’s
Kilkenny Street, Upper Cheese Lane
King George Alley, Redcliff Hill
King Square, St. James
Edward Cooke Nunn, commercial school
Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) - Miss Savill, superintendent . The movement that resulted in the World YWCA began in England in 1855 in the midst of the Industrial Revolution and the Crimean War. Founded through the convergence of social activist Lady Mary Jane Kinnaird’s General Female Training Institute, and committed Christian Emma Robarts’ Prayer Union, it sought to be a social and spiritual support system for young English women.
T. C. Lloyd
William Derrick, house agent
Mrs Derrick, ladies’ school
Alfred Johnson, accountant
William Walter Stoddart
Charles Joseph Whittuck
Miss Mary James
Charles Hick Greenly, surgeon
Edmund Humphries Tromp
Edward Nunn, school
Richard Faulkener Edgell
A. Whittaker, professor of music
George Cole, merchant & ship owner
T. J . Coe, wholesale boot manufacturer
John Sherrard Smart, dentist
Thomas Crocker, M.D. surgeon
W. E. Turner
John Sims Handcock, superintendent of police
J . Kendall
Robert Price Strong
John P. Challacombe, surgeon, M.D.
Mrs Charles Napier
Miss E. May
King Square Avenue, North Street to King‘ Square
Samuel Gerrish, butcher
Thomas Hoskins, brush maker
Mrs Jelfs, fruiterer
Henry Pritchard, collector of rates
George Harvey, saddler
George Henry Tovey, wine & spirit merchant
Isaac Payne, furniture broker
T. Edmunds, venetian blind maker
William Fewings, upper manufacturer (footwear)
Charles Lewis, tailor and draper
Robert Stenner, piano-forte maker
Edward J . Tucker, King Square mews
James Powell, sweet-shop & tobacconist
Miss Mary Humphreys, milliner (headwear)
R. Pearce and Sons, commission agents & money lenders
Susan Short, vict, Angel Inn (pub) 1861 - 65 Frederick Corfield / 1871 - 72 Susanna Short / 1874 Charles Smith / 1875 to 1876 Eliza Down / 1877 to 1878 Edward King 1879 to 1880 William Webber / 1881 to 1882 Alfred Osgood / 1883 H. S. Crinks / 1885 - 87 James Lucas / 1888 Herbert Howard Carr 1889 Robert Orchard / 1891 William Richardson / 1892 Isaac Flancinbaum / 1892 - 97 William Brayley / 1899 Frank Lucas 1901 - 02 James Gore / 1904 William Bartlett / 1906 Amelia Bartlett / 1909 Frank Harris / 1914 Ernest White / 1921 - 28 Mary Bryan 1931 - 38 Alfred Bryan / 1938 - 44 Dora Bryan / 1950 - 53 Clementine Whyatt. Dora Bryan’s tenancy commenced on the 3rd October 1938, the rent was £32 per annum, the landlords were the Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Limited.
King Street, Welsh Back to Prince Street
King Street (Little), Queen Square
Coles and Fry, sack depot
T. E. Wookey, haulier
Wait and James, corn merchants
George B. Dyer, corn merchant
Alfred Pearce. bonded stores
William Henderson, seaman
Thomas Stephens, cooper & vat maker
R. C. Stephens, haulier
George Watson, carpenter
Ball and Skeates, wine merchants
Butterworth, McArthur, Bridges, & Co. iron merchants, etc
William Bass, vict, Odd Fellow's Arms (pub) Little King Street (corner of Welsh Back) 1859 - 68 James Westall / 1869 Thomas E. Wookey / 1870 to 1871 William Bass / 1872 - 79 Jane Bass / 1882 - 99 Tom Rudman previously known as the Sailors' Return.
John Fry, vict, St. Michael's Arms (pub) 1863 Evan Symmons / 1865 - 78 John Fry / 1879 to 1891 Henry Coles / 1892 - 94 George Price.
King Street, Queen Square
1. James Brown, grocer
2. William Aspland, basket maker
3. George Chapman, auctioneer, etc
4. Mrs Wookey, lodging house
Thomas Elkanah Wookey, haulier
4. Mrs Stephens, toy dealer
6. Michele Ansaldo, ship broker www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/5922416560/in/ph...
6. C. P. B. Howell, junr. timber merchant
7. Samuel Stevens, marine stores
8. Charles Neck, dock pilot
10. Frederick Hugh Jones, (compositor)
11-12. Budgett and James, general produce brokers
15. John Wetherman, junior, sole agent for Guiness’s porter
16. Abraham Champion and Sons, decorators, etc www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/5921852765/in/photolis...
18. Timothy Flying, tailor
19. Edward, Ryan, egg merchant
25. Mrs Gready
26. John Jenkins, tailor
27. George Veal
29. William Veal, cabinet maker
31. Robert J. Oak, pump & block maker
Marine School, William Seaton, master
Merchants Seaman's Almshouses www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/9600090200/in/se...
City Library, James Fawckner Nicholls, librarian
Ford and Canning, public bonded warehouse keepers www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2129935885/
32, Burton Brewery Co. - Agent, Edward H. S. Wilkinson
35. ?. Westall
Theatre - James Henry Chute, lessee www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2033009469/in/se...
C. F. Ivens & Co. merchants
Robert L. N. Espie, fruit broker
Joseph Abraham, wine merchant
William Pope, shopkeeper
45-46. Charles Turner, wholesale fruiterer
47. Evan Symmons, beer seller
F. Lewis, shopkeeper
Capt. T. Daniel, vict, Llandoger Trow (pub) Built in 1664 the Llandoger occupied the right hand gable in this rank of five, the second section from the left was once a tavern named the Goat. In the November blitz of 1940 the two gables at the left suffered severe bomb damage and were removed. The three remaining buildings were bought by Berni Inns in 1962 and converted into a pub/restaurant. To prevent the building from collapsing during the renovation, a steel frame was inserted supported by piles sunk to a depth of 43 feet. The Llandoger is still trading. www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/2097921024/in/se... bristolslostpubs.eu/page43.html
Thomas West, vict, Coopers's Arms (pub) Nos. 7, 8 & 9 King Street, the Coopers’ Arms was at No.9 the right hand gable in this group. No.7 which was once the Royal Oak and No.8 are still standing but the Coopers’ Arms was taken down in 1899 to be replaced with warehousing, note the demolition work being carried out at No.10. bristolslostpubs.eu/page25.html
Royal Oak, King Street1752 Thomas Lock / 1755 - 62 Joseph Lock / 1775 William Knight / 1792 Elizabeth Martin / 1800 William pugh / 1816 James Brown see the Coopers’ Arms.
17. Richard Trapnell, vict, Royal Navy Volunteer (pub) 1861 - 74 Richard Trapnell / 1875 Ann Trapnell / 1876 Charles Clews / 1877 William St.Clair / 1878 F. Skinner / 1879 Isaac Gould 1881 Frederick J. Sampson / 1882 - 83 Philip Evans / 1885 - 87 Henry Pymm / 1888 - 89 Sarah Banwell / 1891 Henry Pymm 1891 Thomas Bradford / 1892 - 93 Charles Tuckfield / 1896 - 97 Louisa Tuckfield / 1899 - 1925 Alfred Williams / 1928 - 44 Albert Sims 1950 - 53 Edith Ann Sims / 1975 N. S. Hogan (manager) in the 1861 census Richard Trapnell is listed as a beer & lodging house keeper. The pub is still trading under the name of the ‘Famous Royal Navy Volunteer’ www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/5922416950/in/photolis...
31. Ellen King, vict, Bunch of Grapes (pub) 1852 - 66 William King / 1869 - 80 Ellen King / 1881 John Croome / 1882 to 1886 E. Wilkinson / 1887 - 1909 Alfred Whitaker 1914 - 17 Frederick Webb / 1921 - 35 Jane Webb / 1937 - 38 Jane Arnold / 1941 - 53 Ellen Amelia Collins / 1975 Mrs Ross-Mackenzie. The tenancy of Ellen Collins commenced on the 11th February 1941, the rent was £30 per annum and the landlords were The Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Limited, Ellen was previously at the Star in Cock & Bottle Lane which was bombed on the 24th November 1940. The Bunch of Grapes is still trading.
36. Robert Cottom, vict, Garricks Head (pub) Next door to the Theatre Tavern, pictured during a spell when both buildings were being used as public houses. The gable to the right was the entrance to the Theatre Royal which was rebuilt in 1903, the two old pub buildings were demolished shortly afterwards. bristolslostpubs.eu/page33.html
37. John Rowden, vict Theatre Tavern (pub) Next door to the Garrick’s Head, pictured during a spell when both buildings were being used as public houses. The gable to the right was the entrance to the Theatre Royal which was rebuilt in 1903, the two old pub buildings were demolished shortly afterwards. bristolslostpubs.eu/page67.html
48. Henry Robbins, vict Britannia (pub) 1775 John King / 1826 William Knapp / 1828 R. Canton / 1831 - 33 William Turner / 1834 John Shattock / 1837 William Jenkins 1840 - 41 Robert Canter / 1842 William Butson Pearse / 1844 Thomas Brown / 1845 to 1857 Joseph Henry Packer 1858 to 1859 William Simpkin / 1860 to 1866 Joseph Vowles / 1867 James Matthews / 1868 - 69 Clara Ann Young / 1871 Henry Robbins 1872 Mrs. R. Cotton / 1873 Robert Cotton / 1874 Richard Snook / 1875 to 1876 Samuel Tutton / 1877 Robert Cotton 1878 T. Watkins / 1879 to 1882 Jane Hale / 1883 to 1885 Ellen Dilke / 1886 T. Skinner / 1887 Mary Milden 1888 - 89 Stephen Barton Perrett / 1891 Thomas Davis / 1892 - 93 John Andrews / 1896 William Riley / 1897 David Smith 1899 Frederick Hussey / 1901 - 06 William Burton / 1909 - 17 Sarah Alice Burton / 1921 Edward Smethurst / 1925 Walter Gollop 1928 - 31 Thomas Ross / 1935 - 38 Kate Elizabeth Ross. (the Britannia was bombed in the war)
44. Edmund Ball, vict Old Duke (pub) previously named the Duke’s Head, the Old Duke is still trading. 1800 George Long / 1806 Joseph Martin / 1816 Thomas Martin / 1828 Joseph Martin / 1831 - 32 Elizabeth Martin 1833 - 42 Joseph William Smith / 1844 Jane Smith / 1847 John Johns / 1848 - 61 David Thomas / 1863 Christopher Peters 1865 - 67 James Rexworthy / 1868 Richard Bodley / 1871 Edwin Sellick / 1871 to 1888 Edmund Ball / 1889 Mary Ball 1890 Emily Jane Cullen / 1891 to 1892 Alfred Leach / 1892 to 1899 William Roberts / 1900 - 06 William Sainsbury 1909 - 17 Thomas Slocombe / 1921 - 38 William Slocombe / 1944 - 53 James Jones / 1960 T. A. Davies / 1975 K. Aniol.
King Street (Old), Broadmead to Barrs Street
King‘ Street, Coronation Road
Thomas Hutton, marine stores
H. Byrt, cooper
Amelia Handowell, shopkeeper
William Cole, paraﬂin oil dealer
Isaac Stephenson, grocer
John Easter, toy dealer
Charles Forsey, boot maker
James Hyman Willey, vict, Waterloo Inn (House) (pub) 1831. James Wyatt / 1837. William Watts / 1839. Ann Watts / 1844 - 52. John White / 1856. Thomas White 1863 - 69. Samuel Wreford / 1871. James Willey / 1874 - 79. Thomas White / 1881 - 83. Hannah White / 1885 - 88. Edwin Williams 1891. Harriet Hall / 1892 - 1901. Harriet Martin / 1904. Albert Martin / 1909. Edwin Lyddon / 1911. Abraham Chapple 1914 - 28. Walter Hale.
Thomas Withey, vict, The Green Man (pub) 1853. John Rich / 1857 - 58. Catherine Phipps / 1872 - 92. Thomas Withey / 1896. Mary Ann Withey / 1899. Frederick Graddon 1901 - 04. Henry Williams.
Elizabeth Hernaman, vict, Dove (pub) 1848 - 60. William Prosser / 1863. Elizabeth Prosser / 1865 - 66. William Prosser / 1867 to 1868. William Prosser & Elizabeth Herniman 1871 - 77. Elizabeth Herniman / 1878 to 1882. Mary Dashfield / 1883 - 89. Edward Westaway / 1891 - 1925. Alfred Turner 1928. Alfred Turner (jnr).
King Street, Pennywell Road
King Street, Redcliff Crescent
King William Avenue, Queen Square
King William Court, Wine Street
King William Place, Folly Lane
King William Place, Jacob Street
King William Sreet, Pylle Hill
King William Street, North Street, Bedminster
Kings Head Court, Wine Street
King’s Parade, Whiteladies, Durdham Down
Mrs Newman, lodging house
?. Ivy house
Miss Gay, ladies’ boarding school
Mrs Charles Paull
Richard William Giles
George Washington Isaacs
William and Miss Goulstone, boarding school for young gentlemen
Mrs Chamberlain ,
Miss Snelling, ladies’ boarding school
Nicholas C. Hetherington, King’s parade mews
Kingsdown Avenue, Kingsdown Parade to St Matthew's Road
Jane Baker, china and glass dealer
George Milsom, butcher
Mrs. Cottrell, livery stables, Kingsdown mews
Kingsdown Parade, Horfield Road to Fremantle Square
William Sargent, boot maker
Mrs Charles Gardiner, Montague villa
Francis J. Ball
George Grifﬁths, hair dresser, etc
Mrs Mary Whitmarsh
?. Walton lodge
George Dare, confectioner
James Tamlyn, gasﬁtter
John Henry Reed
Joseph Churchill, teacher of music
William Palmer, bookseller
Mark P. Stephenson
John B. Halford
Capt. Thomas Smith
Mrs A. J. Martin
Rev. William Rouch
Charles L. Elliott
Edward Greenﬁeld Doggett
Rev. Robert P. Macmaster
?. Prospect house
Mrs Phillips, preparatory school
Rev. Joseph Morris
Augustus Ferris Morcom
Francis James Dearlove
Thomas William Duﬁett
Dr. Frederick W. Griﬁin
Miss M. Watts, ladies’ school
Mrs Mar Ayre
George Tayler Hooper
Mrs Jane Burland
Mrs Sarah Day, ladies’ school
Col. William Ledlie
Edward John Skeates
Rev. Joseph Philip Cohen
Miss Hannah B. Smith
Henry Wethered, Devon
Mrs Elizabeth Dibbins
Mrs Emma Wallis
Henry John Gorton
Mrs C. Fedden
Rev James W. L. Bowley
Mrs Frances Parker
John Wanklyn James
Joseph Gadd, ﬂy proprietor
Robert Iles Hewitt
Miss Matilda Woodman, Cleeve house
Robert Henry Webb
Rev. William Hazledine (Temple)
Mrs Charles Thomas Lloyd
T. H. Clark, wine hooper
Miss Hannah Baker, Prospect cottage
William Mealing, grocer & confectioner
Miss Carlile, Tancredi house
John White, vict, Booth's Hotel (Kingsdown Wine Vaults (pub) the Kingsdown Wine Vaults has also been known as the Star, Booth’s Hotel and White’s Hotel. 1867 Peter Leach / 1868 - 69 S. J. Booth / 1871 - 77 John White / 1877 - 79 William Millman / 1882 - 1909 Emily Millman 1914 George Norman / 1917 - 21 Mary Jane Norman / 1925 Alice Jane Bayntun / 1928 - 31 Sydney Whitewood / 1933 - 44 Lionel Nash 1950 - 53 Ada Nash / 1960 V. C. Harrison / 1975 Miss E. T. Harrison. (previously occupied by Solomon Fry, bed & mattress maker)
Mrs Eliz. Ward, vict, Montague Hotel (pub) The Montague was the first house to be built in Kingsdown around 1737 and was named after the Montagues who owned the estate that included Kingsdown. The Montague was pulled down after suffering severe bomb damage in the war, the site was never rebuilt and is now the green triangle at the top of Horfield Road. bristolslostpubs.eu/page194.html
Kingsland Court, Kingsland Road, St Philips
Kingsland Road, Batch to Marsh Lane, St. Philip's
George Packer, grocer
John Newton, grocer and tea dealer
G. Read & Co. grocers
?. Marriott, potato dealer
John Donovan, oil and color man
James S. Clifford, draper and hosier
Henry Wetton, confectioner
George Cross, beer retailer and baker
Eli Stevens, grocer
J. Winter, confectioner
Mrs Potter, chemist and druggist
Kingsland Chapel and School - Rev. W. Knox
5 Charles Palser, chemist and dentist
James Hampson, beer retailer
Edward Holder, greengrocer
J. Boulter, baker
James Coates, grocer
William Horner, linen draper
John Bevan, butcher
T. E. Cartwright, grocer
Alfred Player, grocer
A. R. Adams, grocer & boot maker
Edwin Jones, butcher
James Coles, beer seller
Thomas Griﬁiths, vict, Royal Oak (pub) 1834. W. Cummer / 1837 - 39. William Griffiths / 1851 - 53. John Dickinson / 1861 - 63. Charlotte Dickinson 1868 - 1901. Thomas Griffiths / 1904. H. R. Adams / 1906 - 09. Edith Ellen Merrick / 1914 - 21. Bertram Brown 1925 - 28. William Morgan.
Thomas Watkins, vict, Mail Coach (Royal Mail) (pub) 1831 - 37. John Jones / 1839 - 42. Joseph Earl / 1847 - 52. George Knight / 1853 - 69. Joseph Knight / 1871 - 74. Thomas Watkins 1875 - 78. Charles Knight / 1879. Mary Knight / 1881 - 85. Joseph Knight / 1888 - 94. William Edwin Bone 1896 - 1904. Joseph Weeks / 1906. Henry Webb / 1909 - 14. George Norris / 1921. Lily Dobson / 1925. David Griffiths.
Rachel Lord, vict, King's Head (pub) 1847 - 48. John Lord / 1849 - 53. Richard Lord / 1854 - 72. Rachael Lord / 1874. William Hall / 1875 to 1888. James Hampson 1889 to 1891. Elizabeth Hampson / 1892. William Hampson / 1896. Walter Wood / 1899. William Parker / 1901. Frederick Hillman 1904. Henry Munden.
William Bailey, vict, Glass House (pub) situated by the railway bridge close to Princess Street. 1831 - 48. Samuel Hodges (jnr) / 1853. John Cowmeadow / 1858 - 60. T. Collings / 1861. Daniel Radford / 1863 - 69. Thomas Watkins 1871 - 74. William Bailey / 1875 to 1882. Elizabeth Bailey / 1883 to 1885. Samuel Wiltshire / 1886. T. Grainge / 1887. James Stoates 1888. Sarah Ann Pollard / 1889. William Smallbridge / 1891. George Bush / 1892 to 1893. Mary Ann Clark / 1894 to 1896. Thomas Cole 1897 - 1909. Henry Llewellyn Goodyear / 1914 - 28. Emily Davis.
Murder 1897 Last evening a shocking tragedy occurred in Kingsland Road St.Philip’s. A man called Thomas Coles, of no fixed abode, but formerly landlord of the Glass House, Kingsland Road, attempted, it is alleged, to take the lives of Mr and Mrs John Withey, confectioners, of 57, Kingsland Road, and subsequently took his own life. www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/2040538980/in/photolis...
Samuel Hutchings, vict, Royal Exchange (pub) Marsh Lane, Kingsland Road. 1866 - 67. Thomas Woolf / 1868 to 1869. Joseph Gazzard / 1870. Henry Wookey / 1871. Samuel Hutchings / 1872. Joseph Stokes 1874 - 79. Robert Nutt / 1885 - 91. James Dobbs / 1892 - 14. Walter Hill / 1917 - 21. Eliza Hill / 1925 - 31. Walter Hill 1935. James Peters.
Susan Barter, vict, George (pub) The George was demolished in 2009. 1828. William Kent / 1830 - 44. Jane Passmore / 1847 - 92. Susan Barter / 1894 - 96. Charles Webb / 1897 - 1901. Samuel Wilshire 1904. A. Lloyd / 1906 - 44. Robert Charles Alden / 1950 - 53. Elizabeth Alden / 1975. S. G. Brown. (in 1936, the rent paid by Robert Alden was £78 per annum (£48 house, £30 stables) the landlords were The Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Limited).
Kingsley Road Lower Cotham Road
Charles Baker, Somerset villa
Edward William Godwin, Dunloe villa
Charles Frederick Crapp, Fairlight villa
William Dubin, Glentry villa
Alfred Merchant, Sydney villa
Joseph Whittard, Clarence villa
Mrs Edward Grevile, Vesta villa
?. Kingsley villa
F. A. Lowle, Lynton villa
Walter Norgrove, Wortley villa
Kingston Place, Seymour Place, Stapleton Road
Kingston Villas, Stuart Street, Stapleton Road
Rev. T. Richardson
Henry Jenkins, commission agent
Kingstone Buildings. 3, Leek Lane, Milk Street
Kington Buildings, Portland St and Cothain Rd South
Kington Cottages, Portland Street, Kingsdown
Kington Place, Cotham Road South
Kington Villas, Cotham Road South
Knights Cottages, Lower College Street
Knight's Court, Old Bread Street
Knight’s Lane, Avon Street, St. Philip's
Knowle Park, Wells Road
Samuel Hilton Lee
Mrs Tarver, monthly nurse
Miss Tarver, milliner & dressmaker
George Henry Hawkins
Knowle, above Iron Chapel
(Right Hand Side)
Edward B. Harding, Firﬁeld villa
John Frost, Burnswark cottage
School - Mistress, Miss K. Frost
Thomas Sainsbury, Mile End cottage
James Dare, gardener
J . D. King, Knowle villa
James Paten, grocer
Josiah Dimond, baker, post office
John Stroud, Kings Hill house
Thomas Purkis, plumber
James Griﬁiths, lime burner
Thomas Harris, Queensdale farm
(Left Hand Side)
James Smith, Clifton villa
Edward Harding, Ashton villa
William Keen, Failand villa
William Biggs, Henley villa
Prof. Henry James, Dinder villa
T. D. Foxwell
John Harris, Ivy house
James Hardwick, farmer
George Phillips, Knowle house
Mrs A. Heal
George Wickham Hall
Thomas Watson, Victoria house
Philip Rose, Park house
John J, O’Reilly, vict, Red Lion (pub) 1853 - 63. Mrs. Mary Ball / 1877 - 83. John O’ Reilly / 1886 - 87. Henry Beavan / 1899 - 1906. Thomas Gore 1909 - 53. William Weekes / 1960. E. T. Hogg. (in 1936 the annual rent paid by William Weekes was £208 (£200 hotel, £8 adjoining cottage) this was increased to £238 in March 1938, the landlords were The Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Limited
Michael Cotter, vict, George Inn (pub) 1853. Richard Newick / 1856. Thomas Plummer / 1863. George Cox / 1872 - 78. Michael Cotter / 1879 - 86. Margaret Cotter 1888. Philip Foxwell / 1897. Walter Putnell / 1899 - 1904. George Driver / 1914 - 31. Alfred Clark / 1934 - 38. Amelia Clark 1941 - 44. May Clark / 1950 - 60. George H. J. Hill / 1975. M. S. Gerrish. (the tenancy of May Clark commenced on the 25th of August 1941, the rent was £100 per annum and the landlords were The Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Limited).
John Hamblet, vict, Talbot (pub) The Talbot is now a restaurant. bristolslostpubs.eu/page272.html
Knowle Road, Totterdown
Albert Daniel Morton, Knowle house
Misses Wright, ladies’ boarding school, Somerset house
George Duck, Devonshire house
Rev. David A. Doudney, D.D. Carlisle house
Martin Pollard Rowe, 1, Park house
M. A. Puddy (customs) 2, Park house
William Pearce, Berkeley villa
Rev. F. W. Monck Berkeley villa
Rev. George Wood, Berkeley villa
R. C. Bartlett, Colston villa
P. Fox, Bellevue house
William Poole, Ruysdael house
John C. Wickham, Montpelier house
George Welchman, York house
S. Joyce, Stafford house
William Norris, undertaker, 2, Claremont villas
Richard Starkey, 1, Claremont villas
William Cott, Stancombe villa
L - Bristol Street Directory 1871
River & Rowing Museum, Henley
The big boat in the foreground is Redgrave and Pinsent's victorious coxless four from Sydney 2000
i think, gladesville way, sydney
So you live from day to day, and you dream about tomorrow, oh.
And the hours go by like minutes and the shadows come to stay
So you take a little something to make them go away
And I could have done so many things, baby
If I could only stop my mind from wonderin' what
I left behind and from worrying 'bout this wasted time
A few weeks ago, I took my beautiful daughter for a cycle in BiCentennial park Homebush. Had a great day, and also sussed out a few locations that looked quite promising. Anyhow, this week, decided to run a Focus shoot in there, to see what we'd get. Arrived to find the place covered in a thick fog, which was great. This log was well shot by all 5 of us on the shoot. A great subject and a stunning location. This place offers so many comps, and will look so different under different weather conditions also. This loc will be revisited many times for sure. This is a 3 shot pano.Hope you like "Wasted Time". Cheers Mikei
Henley wharf - sunset
Blue & Yellow
Abbotsford, Parramatta River, Sydney, Australia
Sunset at Henley Park
Meccano model of Sydney Harbour Bridge under construction by Colin Davies
These baths may have been part of the Gladesville Hospital facilities.
Dan's Daily Photo
Pacific Gull on Henley Beach
Pacific Gull (Larus pacificus)
The Pacific gull is a very large gull, native to the coasts of Australia. It is moderately common between Carnarvon in the west, and Sydney in the east, although it has become scarce in some parts of the south-east, as a result of competition from the kelp gull, which has "self-introduced" since the 1940s. Wikipedia
Henley Beach St Michael and All Angels Anglican church
Jacob’s Ladder. “Surely the Lord is in this place.” Window in memory of Sanctuary Guild, created by Philip Handel of Sydney, dedicated 4 Oct 1992.
Foundation stone 11 Feb 1922 by John Barker, architect Alfred Wells, opened 24 May 1922, extensions (chancel, choir, sacristy & choir vestry) foundation stone 15 Jul 1934 by Mrs Dean Barry, consecrated 28 Sep 1939. War memorial hall foundation stone 17 Dec 1961 by M C W Gooden, opened 29 Apr 1962.
LONDON, LONDRES / Tate Britain Stairs (01/05/2016)
© Saúl Tuñón Loureda
La Tate Britain es parte de la red de galerías Tate en Gran Bretaña, junto con la Tate Modern, la Tate Liverpool y la Tate St Ives. Fue el primero de estos museos en ser establecido y abrió en 1897. Alberga una importante colección de obras de J.M.W. Turner.
Se localiza en la sede original de Tate en Millbank, en el lugar en el que estuvo la Prisión de Millbank. La parte frontal del edificio fue diseñada por Sydney R. J. Smith con un pórtico clásico y una cúpula detrás. La construcción comenzó en 1893. La galería abrió el 21 de julio de 1897 con el nombre de Galería Nacional de Arte Británico, pero pasó a ser conocida como Galería Tate, en honor a su fundador sir Henry Tate. Ha habido muchas ampliaciones desde su fundación. La galería central de esculturas fue diseñada por John Russell Pope.
Algunos de los problemas que ha sufrido incluyen inundaciones debido a unas obras en el Támesis y los daños ocasionados por los bombardeos durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial, aunque la mayor parte de la colección estaba a salvo en algún lugar, y un gran cuadro de Stanley Spencer, demasiado grande para ser movido, tuvo un muro de protección delante de él.
El museo cuanta con colecciones británicas y modernas, pero fue renombrado Tate Britain en marzo de 2000, antes de que se abriera la Tate Modern, desde entonces expone únicamente arte británico histórico y contemporáneo.
La Tate también incluye a la Galería Clore de 1987, diseñada por James Stirling, que alberga las obras de J.M.W. Turner
El museo es accesible por escaleras y por una rampa para sillas de ruedas. La galería tiene un restaurante y una cafetería, así como una sala de amigos a la que sólo pueden acceder miembros de la Tate. Todo el mundo puede ser miembro con sólo pagar una suscripción anual. El edificio alberga demás de las oficinas de administración, una Biblioteca1 y un Archivo2 en el Centro de Investigación Hyman Kreitman.3 En el restaurante hay un mural pintado por Rex Whistler.
Actualmente la Tate Britain y la Tate Modern están conectadas por el Támesis por un barco, que sale del embarcadero de Millbank Millenium, que está justo enfrente de la galería. El barco está decorado con lunares, basado en un cuadro parecido de Damien Hirst.
La exposición permanente muestra la colección permanente de arte británico histórico, así como obras contemporáneas. Tiene salas dedicadas a un solo artista, como las dedicadas a: Tracey Emin, John Latham, Douglas Gordon, Sam Taylor-Wood, Marcus Gheeraerts II, aunque estas obras como el resto rotan periódicamente.
La Tate Britain alberga la anual y siempre controvertida exhibición del Premio Turner, que muestra las obras de cuatro artistas menores de 50 años, seleccionados por un jurado liderado por el director de la Tate, Sir Nicholas Serota. Esta exhibición se alarga durante todo el año, ya que los nominados se anuncian en mayo, la exhibición de sus obras en octubre, y el fallo del premio es en diciembre. Cada etapa de la entrega del premio genera expectación por parte de los medios, y también numerosas manifestaciones contra el premio.
La Tate ha intentado llegar a un público más numeroso, especialmente joven, con el programa Hasta tarde en la Tate Britain que se hace cada primer viernes de cada mes, este programa conlleva que el precio de las entradas se reduzca a la mitad, y se toque música en directo.
La colección permanente
La Tate Britain es la galería nacional de arte británico desde 1500 hasta nuestros días. Como tal es la galería más importante de este tipo en el mundo. En el museo también se exponen obras de artistas más recientes como David Hockney, Meter Blake y Francis Bacon. Algunas de las obras que se exponen en la Tate Britain son:
Newton de William Blake
Caballo atacado por un león de George Stubbs
Giovanna Baccelli de Thomas Gainsborough
Boceto del Castillo de Hadleigh de John Constable
El gran día de su ira de John Martin
La Señora de Shalott de John William Waterhouse
Ophelia de John Everett Millais
La Muerte de Chatterton de Henry Wallis
Beata Beatrix de Dante Gabriel Rossetti
La rama dorada de J. M. W. Turner
La Resurrección, Cookham de Stanley Spencer
Castillo de Norham de J. M. W. Turner
Tres estudios para figuras en base de crucifijo de Francis Bacon
El Baño de barro de David Bombreg
Nocturno: Azul y Oro – Vieje puente de Battersea de James McNeill Whistler
Arte británico de los siglos XVI y XVII: Los retratos dominan este período. El cuadro más antiguo del museo, A Man in a Black Cape, pintado por Jonh Bettes en 1545, revela la influencia de Hans Holbein, introductor del Renacimiento en Gran Bretaña. Su meticuloso estilo lineal se refleja en muchas obras. Uno de los primeros genios nacidos y educados en Inglaterra fue Nicholas Hilliard, representado en la galería por uno de sus raros retratos de tamaño natural, de Isabel I. En el siglo XVII, bajo la influencia de de sir Anthony van Dyck, emergió un nuevo estilo de retrato, del que son excelentes ejemplos Lady of the Spencer family, de Van Dyck, y Endymion Porter, de William Hobson. Otras dos obras maestras son Monkeys and Spaniels Playing, de Francias Bralow, una temprana pintura de tema animal, y Landscape with Rainbow, Henley-on-Thames, de Jan Siberechts, que marca el nacimiento de la tradición paisajista inglesa.
Arte británico del siglo XVIII: Junto a la colección de principios del siglo XVIII, la Tate Gallery también ofrece excelentes ejemplos de "piezas de conversación" (composiciones informales de figuras), como Familia James, de Arthur Devis, y The Strode Family at Breakfast, de William Hogarth, la figura más sobresaliente del artes británico del Siglo XVIII, bien conocido por sus obras satíricas. A finales de este siglo, el Gran Estilo de Joshua Reynolds puede compararse con la cuidada factura de los retratos de su rival Thomas Gainsborough. Las obras de Richard Wilson, de la misma época, muestran ese "Gran Estilo" en los paisajes, mientras que George Stubbs está bien representado con pinturas rurales y caballos de asombrosa belleza.
Arte británico del siglo XIX: La Tate Gallery alberga un gran número de obras de William Blake, así como de algunos discípulos, incluido Samuel Palmer, cuyas íntimas escenas pastorales están imbuidas de una mística intensidad. También están representados los dos grandes paisajistas del siglo: las obras de Turner (en la Clore Gallery) superan en número a las de John Constable, pero éste cuenta con una buena variedad de óleos y bocetos, como Flatford Mill. También hay paisajes de Crome, Cotamn, Bonington y otros. La colección revela la variedad de estilos del arte victoriano, que va desde el muy sentimental Blind Fiddler, de Wilkie -cuya muerte se conmemora en Paz de Turner-, hasta la visión del Derby Day de William Frith y los derroches de color y emoción intensa de los pintores parrafaelitas.
Clore Gallery: Cuando J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851) legó su obras a la nación, lo hizo con la condición de que se mantuvieran juntas. En 1910, se habilitó una serie de salas para sus óleos, pero sólo cuando se abrió la Clore Gallery, en 1987, el total del legado se exhibió completo, incluidos miles de bocetos. La galería también muestra acuarelas de Turner, como A City on a River Sunset, parte de su proyecto de Grandes Ríos de Europa.
Tate Britain (known from 1897 to 1932 as the National Gallery of British Art and from 1932 to 2000 as the Tate Gallery) is an art museum on Millbank in London. It is part of the Tate network of galleries in England, with Tate Modern, Tate Liverpool and Tate St Ives. It is the oldest gallery in the network, having opened in 1897. It houses a substantial collection of the art of the United Kingdom since Tudor times, and in particular has large holdings of the works of J. M. W. Turner, who bequeathed all his own collection to the nation. It is one of the largest museums in the country.
The gallery is situated on Millbank, on the site of the former Millbank Prison. Construction, undertaken by Higgs and Hill, commenced in 1893, and the gallery opened on 21 July 1897 as the National Gallery of British Art. However, from the start it was commonly known as the Tate Gallery, after its founder Sir Henry Tate, and in 1932 it officially adopted that name. Before 2000, the gallery housed and displayed both British and modern collections, but the launch of Tate Modern saw Tate's modern collections move there, while the old Millbank gallery became dedicated to the display of historical and contemporary British art. As a consequence, it was renamed Tate Britain in March 2000.
The front part of the building was designed by Sidney R. J. Smith with a classical portico and dome behind, and the central sculpture gallery was designed by John Russell Pope. Tate Britain includes the Clore Gallery of 1987, designed by James Stirling, which houses work by J. M. W. Turner. The Clore Gallery has been regarded as an important example of Postmodern architecture, especially in the use of contextual irony: each section of the external facade quotes liberally from the building next to it in regard to materials and detailing.
Crises during its existence include flood damage to work from the River Thames, and bomb damage during World War II. However, most of the collection was in safe storage elsewhere during the war, and a large Stanley Spencer painting, deemed too big to move, had a protective brick wall built in front of it.
In 2012, Tate Britain announced that it had raised the £45 million required to complete a major renovation, largely thanks to a £4.9 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund and £1 million given by Tate Members. The museum stayed open throughout the three phases of renovation. Completed in 2013, the newly designed sections were conceived by the architects Caruso St John and included a total of nine new galleries, with reinforced flooring to accommodate heavy sculptures. A second part was unveiled later that year, the centrepiece being the reopening of the building's Thames-facing entrance as well as a new spiral staircase beneath its rotunda. The circular balcony of the rotunda's domed atrium, closed to visitors since the 1920s, was reopened. The gallery also now has a dedicated schools' entrance and reception beneath its entrance steps on Millbank and a new archive gallery for the presentation of temporary displays.
The main display spaces show the permanent collection of historic British art, as well as contemporary work. It has rooms dedicated to works by one artist, such as: Tracey Emin, John Latham, Douglas Gordon, Sam Taylor-Wood, Marcus Gheeraerts II, though these, like the rest of the collection, are subject to rotation.
The gallery also organises career retrospectives of British artists and temporary major exhibitions of British Art. Every three years the gallery stages a Triennial exhibition in which a guest curator provides an overview of contemporary British Art. The 2003 Tate Triennial was called Days Like These. Art Now is a small changing show of a contemporary artist's work in a dedicated room.
Tate Britain hosts the annual and usually controversial Turner Prize exhibition, featuring four artists under the age of fifty, selected by a jury chaired by the director of Tate Britain. This is spread out over the year with the four nominees announced in May, the show of their work opened in October and the prize itself given in December. Each stage of the prize generates media coverage, and there have also been a number of demonstrations against the prize, notably since 2000 an annual picket by Stuckist artists.
Tate Britain has attempted to reach out to a different and younger audience with Late at Tate Britain on the first Friday of every month, with half-price admission to exhibitions, live music and performance art. Other public involvement has included the display of visitors', as opposed to curators', interpretation of certain artworks.
Regular free tours operate on the hour, and at 1.15pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday short 15 minute talks are given on paintings, artists and artistic styles.
Tate Britain is the national gallery of British art from 1500 to the present day. As such, it is the most comprehensive collection of its kind in the world (only the Yale Center for British Art can claim similar expansiveness, but with less depth). More recent artists include David Hockney, Peter Blake and Francis Bacon.
Herry and Prue's Wedding
Dad with Lady Henley and Beatrice Watson
Drummoyne from Henley
The last of the light over Chiswick and the Parramatta River.
Parramatta River (Henley), suburban Sydney, Australia
Olympic Torch Relay, Henley, Henley On Thames, Sir Steve Redgrave, Steve Redgrave, Gold Medallist, Rowing, 5 times, five times, River Thames, Torch Relay, Torch, Relay, Olympic Flame, Flame, Edward Barber, Jay Osgerby, BarberOsgerby, logo, 2012, Olympic Stadium, Stratford, London, E20, Olympics, Olympic, Summer Olympics, London 2012, font, Gold
Gold 1984 Los Angeles Coxed Four
Gold 1988 Seoul Coxless Pair
Gold 1992 Barcelona Coxless Pair
Gold 1996 Atlanta Coxless Pair
Gold 2000 Sydney Coxless Four
Beer Can Regatta
Well, Vikings liked their beers, so, this is inspired by a Viking longboat, I think...and some sort of horse or dog or maybe a lion for a figure head, who knows.
"The Darwin Beer Can Regatta is an event which has been held annually since 1974 in Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia at Mindil Beach. Participants create boats using empty beer cans, soft drink (soda) cans, soft drink bottle and milk cartons. The vessels are not tested for seaworthiness, prior to water events, and those that fall apart are part of the day's entertainment. A great many sundry events go along with the regatta, including concerts, a thong-throwing contest and the "Henley-on-Mindil" competition (named after the Henley-on-Todd Regatta), where participants run their "boats" around like Flintstones cars.
The first Beer Can Regatta was held in June 1974. This is contrary to popular belief that the regatta started in the aftermath of Cyclone Tracy which hit Darwin on Christmas Eve, 1974.
The 1st Beer Can Regatta was the brainchild of Lutz Frankenfeld and Paul Rice-Chapman, both of whom were members of the Darwin Regional Tourism Promotion Aassociation. At the time, Paul (working at local newspaper "the NT News") had a deal with Swan Breweries to stage a water festival of somesort, and was developing the idea of building rafts out of empty beer cans. Lutz took this idea a step further and added an outboard motor to the vessel, and things grew from there.
The Beer Can Regatta is now managed by the Darwin Lions Beer Can Regatta Association Inc, which is essentially a partnership of the three Lions Clubs of the Darwin region, to 1/ promote tourism in the Northern Territory, 2/ raise funds for charitable purposes, and 3/ promote Lionism.
The Beer Can Regatta is also known as the Darwin Lions Beer Can Regatta."
Cormorant with fish. (1)
Parramatta River (Henley), suburban Sydney, Australia
TA - TY - Historical Bristol Street Directory 1871
Mathews' Bristol Street Directory 1871
Tabernacle Row, Philadelphia Street
Tagg’s Court, Redcliff Hill
Tagg’s Court, Redcross Street
Tailor’s Court, 42, Broad Street
A. and J. Bolt, bookbinders
Liberal Registration Society, Thomas Adams, secretary
Joseph Baynton Williams, solicitor
Joseph Peirson, working jeweller
A. Harper, electro plater
Duck & Co. wholesale cider merchant
Merchant Tailor's Hall www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/2095672364/
T. Walton, secretary 3rd Building Society
H. M. Douglas, loan o?ice
Tailor’s Court, Lewins Mead
Tamworth Place, Arley Hill
Tankard’s Close, Fort Road to Old Park, St. Michael’s
(High Park Buildings)
Henry Reeve, grocer
M. Taylor, Ivy cottage
Mrs Fairbrother, dressmaker
(High Park Place)
William Sarsfield, vict, Prince of Wales (pub) 1865 - 66 Thomas Nicholas / 1867 - 69 Caroline Arnal / 1871 - 86 William Sarsfield / 1887 to 1896 Stephen Calway 1897 - 1917 Elisha Bryant.
Tanner’s Buildings, Cheese Lane
Tanner’s Buildings, Pipe Lane, Temple
Tanyard Court, Stillhouse Lane
Some houses were so positioned that their sewage, or similar waste from adjoining houses, flowed back into them. In the courts about Stillhouse Lane, the population was particularly dense at this time. Many houses were back-to-back, thus having no back premises for a toilet. Altogether, few had privies or an adequate supply of fresh water. Many dwellings had floors lower than the outside street due to a build-up, over the years, of filth thrown out from the houses, as there was no means of disposing of refuse.
Taple Row, St. Luke’s Road, Bedminster
Tarr’s Court, Lawrence Hill
Daniel Shappard, hatter
Tattle’s Court, Great George Street, St. Philips
Taylor’s Court, Cathay
Taylor’s Court, Horsefair
Taylor’s Court, Lamb Street, St Judes
Taylor's Court, Pile Street, Redcliff
Taylor's Court, 120, Temple Street
Taylor's Court, Church Street, Temple
Tedder’s Buildings, Durdham Down
Teignmouth Place, Grosvenor Road
Temple Backs, or Commercial Road, St. Philip’s Bridge to Railway goods station
J. Bennett, coal wharf
E. and W. Andrews, slate and firebrick merchants, Thames wharf
George Sinnott, contractor
William Cox, paving-stone merchant
Thomas Gilborson, brightsmith
James Gilborson, grocer
William McMurry, rag merchant
E. Dodderal, late Eden Jones & Co., animal charcoal & ivory black manufacturers
Dayrell & Co, coal merchants
McDowell & Dayrell, manure manufacturers
Richard Charles Ring & Co. coal merchants & tobacco pipe makers www.kalendar.demon.co.uk/ringrf.htm
A. D. Pochin & Co., alum works (whose workers took action over union recognition)
Richard Kidd, veneer & flour mills
William Hutchings, red-ware manufacturers
John Lockyer, engineer
Bartlett & Son, millwrights & founders
Pountney & Co. Bristol Pottery www.kalendar.demon.co.uk/pountneys.htm
J. A. Green Brothers, brewers
Reed & Co.
George Collins, beer retailer
John Shepstone, beer retailer Bear Tavern 1863. Charles Usher / 1870 - 72. John Shepstone / 1874 - 77. Elisha Grimes / 1878. T. Prosser. (the Bear was later named the Temple Hotel)
Piper's Arms Temple Back. 1851 - 53. James Poor
Red Lion Temple Back. 1832. John Gillett
Maria Vickery, vict, Blue Bowl bristolslostpubs.eu/page148.html
John Whitrow, vict, Millwright's Arms1847 - 48. William Jeffries / 1849. H. Grimes / 1853. John Halmarack / 1853 - 54. Charles Bevan / 1863 - 76. John Whitrow 1877 - 83. George Dando / 1885 - 87. William Trudgian / 1889. Daniel Marks / 1891. Thomas Watkins / 1892 - 1921. Meshach Cook.
Elizabeth Ditchett, vict, Potters Arms 1867 - 68. James Plumley / 1869 - 72. Elizabeth Ditchett / 1874 - 77. Edwin Crinks / 1878 - 79. Thomas Iles / 1881 - 83. Thomas Sully 1886 - 87. W. Butler / 1889. William Open / 1891. William Baker / 1892 to 1893. George Hope / 1894 - 1906. William Coombs.
Reuben Sargent, vict, Jolly Sailor bristolslostpubs.eu/page162.html
Ragged School, Harris's Yard, Temple Back, Temple The school opened on 24th October 1847. By 1848 there were three departments, morning, afternoon and evening. The morning session was for girls and boys under 8 years and was well attended with 60 to 70 children. The afternoon session for girls of 6 years upwards only opened in July 1848. It wasn't considered such a priority as for the boys as there was a National School and an endowed school for girls in the vicinity. Some of the older girls were employed in taking care of the younger children in the family in the absence of their parents. The evening session was for boys and adults and had been very well attended from its opening, but in the summer months there was a definite fall in numbers. Many boys were working till 8pm and then went bathing. The average weekly attendance at this session was 350, making an average of 72 daily. The Sunday attendance consisted entirely of boys, about 20 to 25 in number, girls not wishing to come on that day.
After lessons the boys went to church service. The report stated that 'Many boys exhibit a considerable degree of talent for reading and ciphering. Some can now read a chapter of the gospels with ease and accuracy. Their behaviour on the whole is good, much better than can be expected from children who have been accustomed to the habits of idleness and vice and the use of blasphemous and disgusting language.' In October 1849 a mistress was being advertised for, to start at the beginning of November. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Miss Evans (Mistress) 1883.
Terrell Street, Maudlin Street, to Horfield Road
Aust and Co. gasﬁtters, etc
Henry Robertson, M.D. surgeon
Frederick Callaway, painter
Joseph Mitchell, plumber, etc
Charles A. Iles, Terrell house
Sydney W. Symes
James House, boot maker
William Park, plasterer
Elizabeth Hay, dress maker
George Villis, Terrell villas
Miss Pearce, bookbinder, Terrell villas
Davis and Hayman, cabinet makers
Tennis Court, Redcliff Hill
Thatched House Lane, Lower College Street to St. George's
The Butts, St. Agustines Place to Canons Marsh
Thomas Cottages, Pennywell Road
Thomas Street, Ninetree Hill to Stokes Croft
James E. Langman
George Rose Orchard
Walter Lennox B. Roberts
George Hawkins, painter
Mary Rudman, vict, Mason's Arms 1844 - 49 George Rudman / 1851 - 69 Margaret Rudman / 1871 - 72 George Rudman jnr. / 1874 - 77 Thomas C. Kerslake 1878 T. Payne / 1879 Isaac Payne / 1881 - 83 Henry Harvey Cundy / 1885 John Copestake / 1886 - 89 Thomas Jackson Wildgust 1891 Henry Slade / 1894 - 1906 John Forward / 1909 Clara Gillard / 1914 - 25 William Watts / 1928 Emily Watts 1931 - 38 William Hartnell / 1944 - 53 Alfred J. Thomas Mayes / 1960 P. D. Sullivan / 1975 C. Gaydon. George Rudman was a mason, George Rudman jnr. was a carver & gilder and licensed victualler. The Masons’ Arms is now known as the Hare on the Hill.
John W. Harris
James C. Cawley
Joseph Lloyd, vict, Lord Raglan 1856 William Durling / 1856 - 58 M. Durling / 1860 - 83 Joseph Lloyd / 1885 - 88 John Finch / 1889 Eleanor Finch 1891 - 97 John Bowden / 1899 - 1906 Mrs. E. Bowden / 1909 Alfred Stewart / 1914 - 17 Frank Harris.
In August 1858 Susan Clark was charged at Bristol Police Court with stealing a coat, waistcoat and 2/- from Francis Huxtable. He had treated her to a beer at the Lord Raglan, and then her sister came in, followed by a young man who had struck the girl. Huxtable accused him of being a brute and was soon involved in a quarrel. They went to fight and Huxtable told Sarah to hold his coat and waistcoat. He told the court that in the middle of the fight she had run away. Susan claimed that Huxtable was involved in two fights and she had given back his clothes after the first one. She was remanded in custody.but discharged some days later when there was found to be no further relevant evidence.
Joseph Stanmore, tailor
William Hayman, lace dealer
Thomas Street (New), Unity Street, St. Philip’s
Thornhill Place, Upper Maudlin Street
Thorn’s Buildings, Clifton Wood
1. Thomas Westacott
2. Alfred J. Fisher
3. Richard Howe, smith
4. Captain Samuel Nichols
5. Albert Joseph Moore
6. John Maclean
7. John Edmunds
9. Samuel Eastabrook, boot maker
10. John Leahy
11. Thomas Phillips
12. Samuel Blake, baker
Three Queen’s Lane, Thomas Street to Redcliff Street
Thrissell Street, Stapleton Road to Easton Road
William Hawkins, boot maker
Joseph Burgess, tailor
John Evans, farrier
T. Vowles, joiner
Charles Skinner, boot maker
Charles Bryant, sergeant of police
William Clements, currier
Lucy Emma Beard, dressmaker
Baptist Chapel, Rev. Henry Clark (see below)
British School (Next to the Baptist Chapel)
D. O’Shaughenessy, cattle dealer
George Player Briffet, surgical instrument maker
Thomas Moore, painter and glazier
Miss Elizabeth Moore, dress maker
Charles Howe, carpenter
James Duffett Lucas, accountant
Mrs M. A. Rich
John William In 1838 he was a house, land and commission agent with an office at Colton's Corner, All Saints Passage. He lived at 1 Thrissell Street (near Stapleton Road).
Albert Withers, policeman, 14 Thrissell Street, 1873
Other Schools not listed
Mrs Hicks' School for Ladies, Boarding school 1832.
Thrissell Street Infant School. Instituted in 1831 and 'conducted by a committee of ladies and gentlemen' there were 150 children in 1848. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Henry Carey (Master, Mrs Carey (Governess) 1848 Mr and Mrs Newport (Teachers) 1854-61 Miss Joy (Teacher) 1872.
Thrissell Street Chapel was destroyed by fire on February 18th 1855. A little past 5.30 in the evening a passer-by noticed smoke issuing from the windows and gave the alarm. About half an hour later the police fire engine arrived, later followed by those of the West of England, Norwich, Sun and Imperial fire offices. There was some difficulty in getting the water on to the fire at fist as the pipes of the police fire engine were frozen, so the flames had gained a lot of headway and proved impossible to extinguish. There was a crowd of hundreds of people gathered by the time the roof caved in at 6 o'clock and soon the firemen gave up any attempt to try to save the building. Instead they concentrated their efforts on the schoolroom, which were successful and all of the engines apart from the West of England left by 8.30 pm.
The fire had apparently broken out in the singing gallery where a leak in a gas pipe was supposed to be the cause. Of the chapel nothing was left standing save four bare walls as the gallery, organ, pulpit and seating had all been consumed by the flames.
It was rebuilt and opened with a breakfast on 23rd January 1856. A report in the newspaper stated 'The chapel is much improved in consequence of the walls being raised and the whole of the front wall above the entrance portico and which fomerly stood back some feet has now been brought out over and is now in line with the front of the portico. This gives ample space for a deep front gallery without intruding much on the chapel and it now sits back over the front of the entrance portico. There are now no side galleries as in the old chapel, the front gallery being considered sufficiently large. This leaves the interior of the chapel open. The pews in the body of the chapel as also in the gallery are low and wide, very comfortable and commodious and the whole are made of deal, stained and varnished with oak cuppings. The pulpit is very large being more like an enclosed platform than an ordinary pulpit and is thus planned and constructed by particular request of the minister of the chapel and others.
The roof of the chapel is partly open, the timber being on show and has a light and pleasing effect. The body of the chapel 48 feet long and 38 ft 3 ins wide will seat 310, the gallery seating 140, in all 450. The elevaion is simple and partakes of the plain Italian style. In addition to and against one wall of the chapel are a good sized schoolroom and classroom, the school room opening into the chapel but having a separate external entrance. The original estimate for the chapel was very low £621 to which have to be added the cost of the new schoolroom and the other work and now calculated at £870. The architect was Mr Crisp of Bristol and the builder Mr John Neale of Bedminster to whom much credit is due for the workmanlike and substantial manner in which he has carried out and completed the whole of the work'.
This was later superseded by Kensington Chapel.
The chapel was planned facing on to Stapleton Road with schools in Seymour Road and was built on land which was formerly part of the late Mr Maule's nursery. Mr Maule had offered the site for £800. Memorial stones were laid in January 1886 by Miss Fry (on behalf of her brother Lewis Fry MP who was unable to attend the ceremony), Edward Robinson, Mrs G M Carlile and Mrs T Sergent. The building of this chapel had been prepared for over many years. The design was rectangular in form, to seat over 1000 people with a gallery for choir and organ. At the centre of the front was a triple doorway. The architect was T L Wilson of Glasgow, the contractor was C A Hayes, Isaac Passco was clerk of works and H King was foreman.
Thunderbolt Street, Prince Street
A very short street off Prince Street, built over by the CWS building, later replaced by Broad Quay House. (The 21st century Thunderbolt Square in remembrance of this) www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/2072295578/
William Henry White, vict, Masonic Tavern 1866 - 72 William White / 1874 James Curtis / 1875 - 79 Thomas Brown / 1881 - 83 Robert Peters / 1885 - 87 Robert Ball 1888 to 1891 Henry Cooksley / 1892 Alfred Pillinger / 1896 - 1901 David Howell.
Patrick Doyle, vict, Queen's Arms 1868 William Truscott / 1869 - 72 Patrick Doyle / 1874 A. Nelson / 1875 Edwin Arman / 1876 John Willey / 1877 Ann Davies.
?. Mabin, potato stores
James Evans, Cymro com. hotel
Alexander Bremner, sailcloth warehouse
Caroline Hill, baker
Thomas Cooke, butcher
Tillers (Tiler's) Court, St Judes
Now demolished, once stood behind Central Hall, Old Market.
Tip Factory Lane, Baptist Mills
Tippett’s Court, Queen Street, Castle Street
Tippett’s Court, 15, Horsefair
Toleman’s Court, Upper Wells Street, Culver Street
Tolman’s Buildings, Wells Street
Tottenham Place, Grosvenor Place to York Place
Miss M. Fox
Miss Ann Mereweather
Mrs Fanny Coxon
Mrs E. Woolmington, lodging house
Miss Emma Light, lodging house
Mrs Boyce, lodging house
William Hayter, lodging house
Miss Congdon, lodging house
Miss Robinson, boys’ school, Tottenham house
Totterdown Terrace, Wells Road, Totterdown
Tower Court, Broad Quay
Tower Hill, Castle Street to Passage Street
Joseph West, greengrocer
Charles Veals, watch clock maker & musical instrument repairer
Samuel Veals, cutler and gun smith. www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/2132334239/
Henry Taylor, ink manufacturer & general dealer
Thomas Sibley, dairyman
George Hayball, vict, Prince of Wales The Prince of Wales was on the corner of Jacob Street, just across the road from St.Philip & St.Jacob Church, and was pulled down in October 1976 for an office development which also brought about the partial demolition of the Rogers' brewery building next door. bristolslostpubs.eu/page121.html
St. Philip's Church SS Philip and Jacob Church, commonly referred to as Pip 'n' Jay. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Philip_and_St_Jacob,_Bristol
Grifﬁth Morris, beer retailer
Joseph Spearey, haulier
Thomas Lloyd, iron founder
St. Philip's National School
James Skidmore, London & Spirit Vaults
M. A. Woodall, brass & silver plater
Edward Tarzey, grocer
Jane Alloway, general dealer
Tower Plating & Enamelling Works A.T. Poeton Tower Hill www.flickr.com/photos/20654194@N07/8729039920/
Tower Lane, bottom of Broad Street to John Street
Tower Street, Great Gardens, Temple
William Hole, bargeman
T. G. Matthews & Co. soap and grease reﬁners
Tower Street Mission School In 1861 for 200 children. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: Miss Morgan (Teacher) 1861.
Temple Church Infant School, Tower Street Founded by 'a benevolent gentleman of Bristol, for the instruction of 200 children from the age of eighteen months to six years'. Some members of staff as listed in directories, etc: E E Fisher (Master), Mrs Fisher (Governess) 1848.
Edward Appleford, potter
John Morrish, boot maker
Henry T. Walker, school master
William Prior, vict, Gloster Arms (House) 1848 - 49. S. Shillibeer / 1853. L. Shillibeer / 1856. Thomas Vernett / 1860 - 72. William Prior / 1874 - 78. Josiah Nash 1879 - 87. George Elliott / 1889. Charles Hill / 1891. George Richards / 1892 to 1893. William Roberts / 1894. James Taylor 1896. George Mapstone / 1899 - 1921. Annie Elliott.
James Ford, vict, Friendship 1863 - 71. James Ford / 1872 to 1874. Christopher Garraway / 1875. E. Denning / 1876. C. Denning / 1877. J. Cook 1878 to 1881. Charles Neville / 1882. William Derrick / 1883 to 1885. John Henry Morgan / 1886. G. Issotie / 1887 - 89. Matilda Ford 1891 - 94. William Ditchett / 1896. George Smith / 1899 - 1901. Caroline Feltham / 1904. William Henley.
Bristol City Mission
George Hook, tea dealer
John Trott, millwright
James Justice, vict, Bird in Hand 1849. J. Hellier / 1851. Mary Ann Hellier / 1854 - 55. ? Hillman / 1856 to 1857. Richard Thomas / 1858. J. Barnes 1867 - 68. James Ford / 1871. James Justice / 1872 to 1875. Thomas Miles / 1876. James Justice / 1877. H. Smith 1878 to 1885. Richard Tottle / 1886 to 1887. G. Wear / 1888. Francis Ward / 1889 to 1891. Valentine McCreight 1892 - 94. Thomas McGrath / 1896 - 1901. William Edwards.
In January 1856 there was a fire here 'the premises of Mr Thomas'. The fire in the bar parlour had been raked out prior to the household going to bed but some 'portion of burning cinders must have been drawn unobserved either on to the hearth rug or the wooden floor'. After smouldering it must have burst into flames as in the morning all the furniture was found burned to ashes. The fire did not extend beyond the room, so it was considered 'the room must have been airtight'. No material damage was dome to the premises.
Henry Merchant, vict, Castle of Comfort 1831 - 32. Thomas Evans / 1837 - 39. Samuel Wakefield / 1840 - 44. John Wakefield / 1848 - 53. Samuel Wakefield 1855 - 56. W. Bush / 1856 - 58. William Hole / 1860 - 65. John Hodgson / 1866 to 1867. William Pople / 1868 to 1874. George Couch 1874 to 1875 Henry Merchant / 1875 to 1878. Eliza Merchant / 1879. Richard Jones / 1882 - 88. Henry Smith 1889 - 94. William Butler / 1896 - 99. Albert Wakefield / 1901 - 04. Walter Hale.
James Daniels, beer retailer
Benjamin Mansfield, painter
William Bryant, labourer
William Wine, painter
Tower Street Terrace, Tower Street
Tozer’s Yard, 108, Thomas Street
Trafalgar Place, Ashley Road
Trafalgar Place, Clarence Road, Bath Bridge
Trafalgar Place, Easton Road
Trafalgar Place, Bedminster Bridge to Charlotte Street
Treefield, Road, Mina Road, Baptist Mills
Willlam Underhill, vict, Live and Let Live 1871 - 74. William Underhill (later known as the Full Moon).
William Crinks, vict, Rising Sun bristolslostpubs.eu/page294.html
Trelawney Place, Hampton Road
Thomas H. Mills
Trenchard Place, Trenchard Street
Trenchard Street, Frogmore Street to Christmas Steps
J. Grigg, carpenter
William Milton, house smith
William Wood, shopkeeper
Joseph Farthing, grocer
William Hillier, grocer
George Moorcraft, greengrocer
John Longstreth, greengrocer
Lodge Street Chapel
Thomas Sheppard, railway inspector
H. J. Morris, enameller & japanner
James Ellis, grocer
Charles T. Langdon, bookbinder
Mrs. Moody, laundress
William Thomas, carpenter
St. Joseph’s Chapel (Roman Catholic) Rev. Thomas Dykes, Rev. Frederick Myers Rev. William Kaye. www.churchcrawler.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bristol/joseph.htm
Fear of the body snatchers
Here lie the remains of Mr. Patrick Cotter O'Brien, a native of Kinsale, in the kingdom of Ireland. He was a man of gigantic stature, exceeding eight feet three inches in height, and proportionably large.
Patrick died at his home in the Hotwells Road, Clifton, on the 8th September 1806 at the age of around forty-five. He left a fortune of some £3,000, most of which went to his mother, Margaret Cotter and was buried in the Roman Catholic chapel in Trenchard Street, Bristol. The funeral was scheduled for six o'clock in the morning in an attempt to avoid attracting a crowd, but despite this precaution over 2,000 people are said to have attended and police assistance was required to guard the chapel doors and prevent a crush developing.
One source provides the following account of his internment;
The coffin, of lead, measured 9 feet 2 inches in the clear, and the wooden case 4 inches more. It was 3 feet across the shoulders. No hearse could be procured sufficiently long to contain it; on which account, that end of the coffin which could not be shut in, was covered with black cloth. Fourteen men bore him from the hearse to the grave, into which he was let down with pulleys. To prevent any attempt to disturb his remains, of which Cotter had, when living, the greatest horror, the grave was made 12 feet in a solid rock.
Indeed the memorial tablet at the Trenchard Street chapel echoes the message that he was 'buried in the solid rock at the depth of twelve feet, and his body was secured with iron bars, so as to render removal impossible'. In Patrick's case his fears were quite justified. The corpse of his fellow Irish Giant Charles Byrne had been hijacked by a surgeon named John Hunter who boiled it down in a large kettle and mounted his skeleton for display at the Royal College of Physicians; Patrick clearly had no wish to become a medical curiosity after his death.
Patrick Cotter is known to have kept a diary, but unfortunately this has not survived as Patrick himself burnt it on the 'whim of the moment' although 'he afterwards much regretted the circumstance'.
Patrick Cotter O'Brien (1760-1806), standing at eight foot and three inches was the tallest man in the world at the time. When he was 18, a travelling showman discovered him working as a bricklayer and brought him to England to star in his 'freak of nature' show. He added the stage name 'O'Brien' to his own to connect him with the legendary Celtic giants. For nearly a quarter of a century, O'Brien toured the country and in 1785 it was advertised that he was to be 'seen by the quality' in a room in James Street, London for the sum of two shillings.
Mary Ann Penny, vict, Antelope 1863 - 67 Isaac Payne / 1867 - 77 Mary Ann Penny / 1879 Emily Briman / 1882 - 85 Albert Williams / 1886 - 89 James Kelly 1891 - 1904 Alice James.
Eli Blatchford, vict, Royal Oak 1852 Mary & Elizabeth Jackson / 1860 O. Hartley / 1861 W. Hartley / 1861 to 1865 Bridget Hartley / 1866 John Hanrahan 1867 Hilary Aicher / 1868 - 89 Eli Blatchford / 1891 Emily Burnett (manageress) / 1891 - 96 Henry Keating / 1897 - 1901 Richard Fry 1904 Patrick O’Neill / 1906 Samuel Parker.
John Cooke, vict, Morning Star of Gwent During much of the 1960's and 70's, what used to be the Morning Star was home to a greasy spoon café, more recently a pub again named the Bar Ether, it was demolished in 2008 for an extension to the Colston Hall, prior to demolition the building was being used as a recording studio. bristolslostpubs.eu/page267.html
Ann Cann, grocer and vict, Colston's Arms At the bottom of Lodge Street opposite the stage door of the Colston Hall which opened in 1867, the Colston’s Arms closed in the 1960’s and has since been converted into flats. bristolslostpubs.eu/page24.html
Triangle West, Queen’s Road, top of Park Street
James Wise, butcher, Park house
Mrs Anne Hedges, beer retailer
M. A. Blanchet, confectioner, French house
Hester Bruton, dressmaker
John Kennedy, tailor
Henry Baker, dairy
F. Chapple, carpenter & undertaker
Thomas Davy, marble and stone works
W. H. Meek
Mrs Meek, milliner
Joseph Briman, vict, Triangle Tavern 1871 - 72. Joseph Bryman / 1874. Samuel Wolfe / 1875. George Wilcox / 1876 G. H. Whittard / 1877. Jane Symes 1878 - 79. Eliza Oatway / 1882. C. J. Battle.
Triangle Place, Hotwells Road North
Thomas P. Davies, haulier
Samuel Hancock, carpenter
James Galliver, lodging house
Tribune Cottages, Oxford Road, Dings
Trinity Court, Lower Lamb Street, St. Augustine’s
Trinity Place, Hotwell Road, North
Trinity Place, Trinity Street, St. Philips
Trinity Road, West Street to Stapleton Road
Henry Harvey, grocer and tea dealer
George Spill, grocer and tea dealer
Thomas Biles, carpenter and builder
James White, beer retailer
Trinity Road Methodist Chapel
James Parﬁtt, wine and spirit dealer
Robert Loveridge vict, Dove On the corner with Church Street in Newtown. bristolslostpubs.eu/page111.html
Trinity Street, back of Cathedral to Butts
1. Mrs Ann Shurmer, lodging house
2. George A. Wheeler
3. Samuel Shield
4. Henry Bracken
5. William Pearce
8. ?. Holmes
9. James Wilson
10. Thomas Smart
11. Mrs Mary Rea
12. Henry Jeffreys
13. Mrs Roberts
14. Capt. S. Hoard
16. Charles T. Jewell, boot maker
17. Mrs. Speadlow
18 Charles Williams
20. Alfred Grifﬁn
21. James Anning
22. William Tanner
23. James Harding, undertaker
24. William Smith
25. George Taylor, professor of music, etc
Miss Taylor, professor of dancing
26. Thomas Goulding
27. James Rogers
28. Mrs Jane Quance
29. William Chapman, watch & clock maker
30. Miss Cawless, dressmaker
Trinity Street, Newtown, St. Philip’s
Tripp’s Court, Lawrence Court
Trotman’s Court, Lodge Street
Tubal Place, Portwall Lane
Tucker’s Court, Old Bread Street
Tucker Lane, Earl Street
Tucker Street, Bath Street
John Grifﬁths, plumber and glazier
Thomas Reynolds & Son, wholesale ironmongers
William Carey, cheese factor
Isaac Riddle, maltster, corn & hop factor
Joseph Hodgson, boat builder, vict, Pilgrim bristolslostpubs.eu/page177.html Advertised in newspaper as to let in February 1857, 'being in hands of the present family for more than half a century' doing excellent trade, the consumption of malt being upwards of 3000 bushels a year for the last 20 years.
Eliza Knowle was charged at Bristol Police Court in November 1840 with stealing £20 from the person of George Coggan, an elderly farmer from Somerset. She had been drinking with him in the Pilgrim, and when she went out he discovered his purse was missing.
In November 1847 John Shannon was brewing in the Pilgrim when, in passing over a copper of boiling wort, his foot slipped on the plank he was using to cross and he fell in. He was so severely scalded that he died in the Infirmary. He was 54 years old.
In November 25th 1861 a dog show was held at the Pilgrim, which attracted a large number of dogs and much admiration.
Coopers' Arms, Tucker Street Information on landlords: Rich Francis 1775.
Crown, Tucker Street Information on landlords: Charles Bousher 1836-40.
Masons Arms, Tucker Street Information on landlords: Moses Ferris 1775. Notes: In 1807 Moses Ferris was in Castle Green.
Tucker street, Meadow Street to Rope Walk
Twinnel Road, Lion Street to Stapleton Road
1. William Henry Clark, grocer, etc
2. Francis Bateman, boot & shoe maker
3. George Amos, boot and shoe maker
4. James Thomas, tallow chandler
5. William Waller & Co. Eagle Steel works (Steel-heart Tool Co Limited)
6. E. H. Noye, coal agent
7. James Cutland, shopkeeper
8. Thomas Porter, scripture reader
Twinnel Street, Stapleton Road to Easton Road
Henry Eamer, dairyman
Edward Stockwell, greengrocer
John Stevens, greengrocer
John Powe, baker
Joseph Dark, brushmaker
Two Trees Passage, 4, Wilder Street
Tyler’s Cottages, St. Philip’s Marsh
Tyler’s Court, Old Market Street
Tyler’s Fields, St. Philips
Tyler’s Street, Dings
Tyndall’s Buildings, Tyndall’s Park
Tyndall’s Grove, Park Row
Tyndall’s Park, Whiteladies Road & Old Park, St. Michael's
John Hill Morgan, Parklands house
William H. Tucker, Woodland house
Benjamin Blew, Grove house
John Smith, Cote house
Lieut. General James Fitzgerald, Kildare house
Rev. William George, Ashley house
William R. Baxter, Clifton ladies’ college, Stratford house
George Frederick Hurst
Charles T. Dando, Chatsworth house
George Shepherd, M.D. Gordon house
Maurice Michael, Parham house
William Hunt, Tyndale villa
?. Martock house
William Henry Piggott, Florence villa
Joseph R. Price, Inkerman villa
Henry Newton, Lynwood villa
George John Parker, surgeon, Kingston villa
Richard Allen, Heale house
Mrs Crorham, Pendeen house
John P. Gilbert, Wraxall house
Dr. Eubulus Williams, M.D. Taybank villa
Rev. William F. Bryant, Ladymede villa
Charles Thomas Bennett, Terra Nova villa
Alfred James Francis, Derrystone villa
Elliott Armstrong, Mount Gerald house
Edward Wheler Bird, Woodcot villa
Henry George James, Strode house
Abraham Levy, Cambridge house
Tyndall’s Park Road, Whiteladies Road to St. Michael's Hill
1. Henry Daniel, Victoria villa
2. David S. Oliver, Arundel house
3. Walter Stephens
4. William Y. Sheppard, surgeon
5. Joseph Hickman
6. Thomas Pike, Athol house
7. Miss Louisa. Leonard villa
8. Thomas Morgan, Paragon villa
Tyndall’s Park New Road, Whiteladies Road to Woodland Road
Jonathan L. Evans, Parkdale house
Walter Fiddes, Clapton villa
Alice Springs-Henley on Todd Regatta