Australia map with New Zealand Germany Texas etc. In Charleville Royal Flying Doctor Service Office.
A great map that compares the land area of Australia to New Zealand, Japan, Texas, Britain and Ireland and Germany.
Royal Flying Doctor Service. This service was the lifeline to life for so many people in the isolated outback of Australia. Along with the school of the air these two services provided so much help and assistance to life in the outback. The service all began with Alfred Traeger and the Reverend John Flynn. Traeger’s parents were SA born and his German grandparents had arrived in SA in 1848. Traeger, born in 1895 attended Balaklava School and then the School of Mines where he studied engineering. In 1923 he started work at Hannan Brothers in Adelaide doing electrical repair work. He was fascinated by radio. He built his own radio and established Traegers Transceivers Pty Ltd. In 1926 he started working for John Flynn on radio transmitters for the Northern Territory. Flynn had already seen the potential of radio transmitters for medical assistance to remote outback stations. He adapted a bicycle pedal system to generate power to operate a basic radio transmitter. The first of these pedal transmitters was used in QLD in 1928 around Cloncurry. Meantime John Flynn had raised funds and he had the support of Hudson Fysh, the founder of Qantas, H McKay a wealthy industrialist, and George Simpson a doctor, to launch his idea of a flying doctor service able to respond to calls of distress from pedal radio transmitters on isolated stations. Qantas supplied the first aircraft for the service. The service was launched in 1928 with a Flying Doctor Service based in Cloncurry. The title “royal” came after the Queen’s visit to Australia in 1954. Within a few years there was also a FDS base in Charters Towers and Charleville from 1943. Dr Allan Vickers returned to Charleville from a FDS base at Port Headland to established the Charleville base in 1943. Charleville serviced and still does, an area bigger than the United Kingdom. In the early 1950s Prime Minister Robert Menzies recognised the RFDS as “the single greatest contribution to the effective settlement of the far distant country” and the service expanded rapidly across the major states. By the 1960s the service was using it own aircraft, pilots and engineers. Today the service owns 61 aircraft operating from 21 RFDS bases across Australia. What an achievement of Rev. Flynn.
John Flynn lived from 1880 to 1951. He was a Presbyterian minister. He became head of the Presbyterian Australia Inland Missions service working in the outback across SA, NT and QLD and WA. In 1911 he established a nursing hostel in Oodnadatta. He went on to establish nursing centres at Port Augusta, Oodnadatta, Port Hedland, Broome, Pine Creek near Alice Springs and Cloncurry. Whilst doing this he increased his nursing staff from one nurse to 23 nurses so he had infrastructure in place for the aerial medical service by 1923. He made sure from 1911 that his nursing stations and hospitals were open to Aboriginal people. In the early 1920s he started doing radio work and offering radio medical advice and he employed Alfred Traeger from 1926. In 1925 he first proposed an aerial medical service. His friendship with Sir Hudson Fysh the founder of Qantas helped him achieved his goal. On a personal level Flynn was devoted to his work and did not marry until 1932 at age 51 when he wed his devoted secretary. He was knighted and in 1942 his medical service was renamed the Flying Doctor Service. The Royal part was added in 1954. Flynn died of cancer in Sydney in 1951. His ashes were taken to Alice Springs and 5 years later the John Flynn Memorial Church was opened there. There is a John Flynn Museum and Gallery in Cloncurry where it all started.
Distance Education Centre.
This centre was formerly called the School of the Air. It provides a school service to over 200 children in remote properties. The first school of the air was established in Alice Springs in 1951. It was design to overcome the isolation of station children who waited weeks for correspondence lessons to come by mail. Few of these children ever had any physical contact with their teachers back in Adelaide or Alice Springs or some other outback centre.
The school of the air piggy backed on the radio system installed on stations for the Royal Flying Doctor Service. It was a huge step forward in educating isolated outback children. There are now about 15 school of the air centres in outback Australia with the most, five, being in QLD. SA has one school of the air in Port Augusta. The origins of the school of the air lead back to Miss Adelaide Miethke of Adelaide who was vice president of the SA branch of the Royal Flying Doctor Service. She had formerly been a teacher. In 1946 she conceived the idea of using the RFDS station radios for school lessons. In 1948 the Alice Springs RFDS began broadcasting the first lessons on its radios but the service was not officially established there until 1951. A few years later the service began in Broken Hill and then spread across QLD and WA and the Northern Territory. Adelaide Miethke was born in Manoora near Burra in 1881. She was a pupil teacher in 1899 and attending the new training college in 1903-04 near the Central Market. In 1916 she became the first female vice president of the SA Public School Teachers’ Union. From 1915 she taught at Woodville High School and completed her BA at the University of Adelaide in 1924. She was the founding president of the Women’s Teachers League which was one of the founding supporting organisations of the WEA when it embarked on adult education courses in 1917. She moved on to become an inspector of schools and the president of the Women’s Centenary Council of SA in 1936 when the state celebrated its 100 years of white settlement. She published her theories on the importance of education for girls and retired from the Education Department in 1941 at age 60. Her retirement was busy with charity work, fund raising and executive roles in several organisations, including the SA branch of the Royal Flying Doctor Service. She died in her home at Woodville and was buried at Cheltenham. Her lifelong friend was Phoebe Watson who rose from the ranks of pupil-teacher in 1892 to Senior Lecturer at Adelaide Teachers College by 1923. Phoebe worked on many of the same committees and charities as Adelaide Miethke.
A Fifties icon in the Nineties
An eight-car U-Boat climbs the rising grade from Epping to Cheltenham and beyond.
Statue of Sturt, Department of Lands building, Bridge St, Sydney.
Each facade has 12 niches whose sculpted occupants include explorers and legislators who made a major contribution to the opening up and settlement of the nation. Although 48 men were nominated by the architect, Barnet, as being suitable subjects, most were rejected as being 'hunters or excursionists'. Only 23 statues were commissioned, the last being added in 1901 leaving 25 niches unfilled (Devine, 2011). In Nov 2010- a new statue of colonial surveyor James Meehan (1774-1826) was created and placed in an empty niche on cnr. Loftus/Bent Streets.
Sturt, Charles (1795–1869)
by H. J. Gibbney
This article was published in Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 2, (MUP), 1967
Charles Sturt (1795-1869), explorer, soldier and public servant, was born on 28 April 1795 in India, eldest of eight sons and one of thirteen children of Thomas Lenox Napier Sturt, a judge in Bengal under the East India Co. Although his Sturt and Napier ancestors were both Dorsetshire families of some standing, his father had reached India too late to share in the golden harvest reaped by many early officials and his life is described by Sturt's biographer as '45 years of clouded fortunes'.
Charles was sent at 5 to relations in England and at 15 entered Harrow. His father's economic difficulties prevented his entry to Cambridge and in 1813 he procured, through the intercession of his aunt with the Prince Regent, a commission as ensign in the 39th Regiment. He served in the Pyrenees late in the Peninsular war, fought against the Americans in Canada and returned to Europe a few days after Waterloo. He spent the next three years with the army of occupation in France and in 1818 was sent with his regiment to Ireland on garrison duties. On 7 April 1823 he was gazetted lieutenant and promoted captain on 15 December 1825. In December 1826 after a brief sojourn in England he embarked with a detachment of his regiment in the Mariner in charge of convicts for New South Wales and arrived at Sydney on 23 May 1827. In Sydney the two main subjects of discussion among intelligent people were politics and the mysteries of Australian geography. The savagely personal nature of local politics did not attract Sturt but the great unknown did. John Oxley and Allan Cunningham had charted a series of rivers, their courses directed towards the centre of the continent; the inference was that an inland sea lay beyond the horizon. Sturt and others longed for the honour of discovering it.
Soon after his arrival Sturt was appointed military secretary to the governor and major of brigade to the garrison. With these offices he could have taken an active part in politics, but preferred to interest himself in exploration and by November 1827 was able to write to his cousin, Isaac Wood, that the governor had agreed to his leading an expedition into the interior. Because (Sir) Ralph Darling had few officers on whom he felt that he could rely, he did not formally authorize the expedition for nearly twelve months. Meanwhile Sturt had, perhaps naively, discussed the proposal with the newly-appointed surveyor-general, (Sir) Thomas Mitchell, who felt that he had been slighted, and argued with some justice that Sturt, who had no qualifications, was being pushed by influence into a task which offered the prospect of honour, and which was his ex officio. Darling rejected this contention out of hand and Sturt acquired a lifelong enemy in Mitchell.
On 4 November 1828 Sturt received approval to proceed with his proposal to trace the course of the Macquarie River. Prudently he selected as his assistant the native-born Hamilton Hume, who had already shared leadership of a major expedition to the south coast. With three soldiers and eight convicts Sturt left Sydney on 10 November. Hume joined them at Bathurst and, after collecting equipment from the government station at Wellington Valley, they moved on 7 December to what became virtually the base camp at Mount Harris. On 22 December the expedition started down the Macquarie through country blasted by drought and searing heat. Having unsuccessfully tried to use a light boat, on 31 December Sturt and Hume began independent reconnaissances in which Hume established the limits of the Macquarie marshes and Sturt examined the country across the Bogan River. They then proceeded north along the Bogan and on 2 February came suddenly on 'a noble river' flowing to the west; Sturt named it the Darling. Unhappily its waters were undrinkable at that point because of salt springs. They followed the Darling downstream until 9 February, then returned to Mount Harris and from there traced the Castlereagh northward until it too joined the Darling. They then returned to Wellington Valley down the eastern side of the Macquarie marshes, having sketched in the main outlines of the northern river system and discovered the previously unknown Darling River. The expedition, however, had discovered no extensive good country. Although Sturt was ill on his return to Sydney he was scrupulous in recommending the convicts in his party for such indulgences as the colonial government could grant. Darling granted some remissions of sentence and in his dispatches commended Sturt's patience and zeal.
The Darling River had offered a new challenge and Sturt soon sought permission to lead another expedition to trace the Darling to its assumed outlet in the inland sea. However, it was decided instead that he should investigate the Lachlan-Murrumbidgee river system discovered by Oxley and proceed to the Darling only if the Murrumbidgee proved impassable.
On 3 November 1829 the second expedition left Sydney. In Sturt's party were George Macleay, son of the colonial secretary, Harris, Hopkinson, Fraser and Clayton, who had all been in his first expedition, and several soldiers and convicts. They moved through country which was partly settled until 28 November when they left Warby's station near Gundagai which was then the limit of settlement and set off into the unknown country. After many crossings of the Murrumbidgee to find suitable tracks for the drays they moved down the north bank of the river and on Christmas Day arrived at its junction with the Lachlan. There difficult marshes raised the question whether they should follow the governor's instructions or go to the Darling. Since the Murrumbidgee was still fairly clear Sturt decided to use the whale-boat which he had brought with him and to build a small skiff from local timber. On 7 January 1830 he set out with seven men in the two boats on the Murrumbidgee.
Apart from the complete loss of the skiff soon after embarkation the journey was uneventful until 14 January when the rapid current of the Murrumbidgee carried them to a 'broad and noble river' which Sturt later named in honour of Sir George Murray, secretary of state for the colonies. Further down the Murray they had two threatening encounters with Aboriginals, and on 23 January came to a new large stream flowing in from the north. After rowing up it for a few miles Sturt was convinced that it was the Darling and returned to the Murray. An uneventful voyage brought them on 9 February to Lake Alexandrina whence they walked over the sandhills to the southern coast. They reached the channel where the lake entered the sea but were dismayed to find it impracticable for shipping. Depressed by failing to find either an effective inland waterway or the ship which Darling had promised to send from Sydney, Sturt now faced the appalling prospect of rowing more than 900 miles (1448 km) against a strong current with his weary men and certain food shortage. They began the return journey on 12 February and on 23 March arrived at the Murrumbidgee depot only to find it deserted by the base party which had been left there. The starving crew struggled on until 11 April when Sturt abandoned the boat and sent two men to seek the relief party which he believed to be near. A week later the two men returned with supplies and the revived expedition reached Sydney safely on 25 May.
Although an interim dispatch carried by Macleay in advance of the main party had been published in the Sydney Gazette Darling did not report to England on the expedition until February 1831. Meanwhile Sturt, after a short illness, had been sent to Norfolk Island as commandant of the garrison. There he took part in the rescue of the occupants of a wrecked boat and, though active in quelling a convict mutiny, had nevertheless earned the respect even of the mutineers for his generally humane outlook. In July he was relieved by F. C. Crotty, captain in the 39th Regiment.
Sturt's return to Sydney was delayed by illness until October; already there had been proposals to send him to New Zealand as Resident or on another journey to the Darling, but his health was so bad that he was immediately granted leave to go to England. On the voyage his eyesight, which had been failing, broke down completely leaving him totally blind. While undergoing crude but moderately successful treatment for his condition he published an account of his two journeys and after many petitions to the Colonial Office was promised a grant of 5000 acres (2024 ha) in New South Wales on condition that he sold his commission and renounced all other rights arising from his military service. On 20 September 1834 he married Charlotte Greene, the daughter of an old family friend.
Sturt sailed with his wife and arrived at Sydney in mid-1835. With intentions of settling down to country life he located his grant at Ginninderra (near Canberra) in June and in August bought 1950 acres (789 ha) at Mittagong, where he lived for two years. In this time he was appointed a justice of the peace, became a passive member of the governing body of the Australian Museum, was recommended unsuccessfully for appointment to the Legislative Council, and christened his first child Napier George. Early in 1837 he bought 1000 acres (405 ha) at Varroville between Liverpool and Campbelltown, where he soon established another home.
In 1838 financial difficulties forced him to sell his Mittagong property and induced him to join in a venture for overlanding cattle to South Australia. Although in the process he was able to add something to knowledge of the Murray River, the journey almost ended in disaster. Breeding cows in the herd delayed the party and it ran short of supplies and had to be rescued by his friend, Edward John Eyre. The venture was also a financial failure. Sturt was greeted in Adelaide by flattering attention which brought balm to his pride injured by recent failures. Incautiously he became associated with an attempted land transaction which some colonists thought was questionable. On 30 October he returned to Sydney to learn of the birth of his second son, Charles.
In Adelaide he had been invited to join the South Australian public service and on 8 November 1838 was formally offered the position of surveyor-general. Despite his lack of technical qualifications and some doubts about Governor George Gawler's power to make the appointment, he accepted, sold his property in New South Wales and sailed with his family for Adelaide on 27 February 1839. In spite of sickness and continuing financial worries all seemed to go well. The first shattering blow came in September when Lieutenant Edward Frome arrived from London with a commission as surveyor-general. Gawler, in a loyal attempt to help Sturt, appointed him assistant commissioner of lands, though at a reduced salary. In November he and his wife joined Gawler in what was intended to be a short excursion up the Murray valley. On his expedition a young man lost his life and the governor was placed in serious danger. Although Sturt was not responsible the tragedy affected him deeply.
In 1841 Sturt was offered the resident management of the South Australian Co., but refused. Soon afterwards he committed what was probably the most serious error of judgment in his life: when news arrived that Captain George Grey was to replace Gawler as governor, Sturt wrote to the Colonial Office complaining of Grey's youth and offering himself as an alternative candidate for vice-regal office. Grey, who could not tolerate opposition, never forgave him this clumsy affront.
From that time Sturt's affairs worsened. Grey confirmed his provisional appointment as assistant commissioner, but later refused him the office of colonial secretary on the grounds that his sight was too poor. The Colonial Office then decided to abolish the assistant commissionership, leaving Sturt with the inferior post of registrar-general at a much lower salary. To a man of Sturt's temperament the situation was now intolerable. He was at loggerheads with the governor, deeply in debt, inadequately paid, and could see no hope of improving his prospects. He petitioned the Colonial Office for financial compensation or transfer to another colony. When refused, he decided that the only course left to him was to establish by some bold stroke a claim on the government for special consideration. His best chance of doing this was in exploration and, since he still believed in the existence of an inland sea, he prepared a grandiose plan for exploring and surveying, within two years, the entire unknown interior of the continent, and in 1843 forwarded it to the Colonial Office through his old friend, Sir Ralph Darling. While waiting for a reply he and Grey had a series of minor clashes which culminated in Sturt's censure by the Executive Council for an incautious letter. In May 1844 the secretary of state rejected Sturt's original plan but approved a more limited proposal to penetrate the centre of the continent in an attempt to establish the existence of a mountain range near latitude 28°S.
On 10 August 1844 Sturt left Adelaide with 15 men, 6 drays, a boat and 200 sheep. In eight days the party reached Moorundie and then followed the Murray River to its junction with the Darling, and up the Darling to the vicinity of Lake Cawndilla, where they camped for two months making several scouting expeditions into and beyond the Barrier Range. In December the party was short of water and some of the men showed signs of scurvy but they moved further north into the Grey Range. There they made a camp on permanent water fortunately found at Depot Glen on Preservation Creek. By that time summer heat had dried up all other water within reach and from 27 January 1845 to 16 July they were literally trapped in inhospitable country; men and equipment suffered terribly from the heat and Sturt's second-in-command, James Poole, died of scurvy.
In July they were released by heavy rain. Sturt moved his party in a north-westerly direction to Fort Grey, whence he made a series of reconnoitring expeditions culminating in a 450-mile (724 km) journey towards the centre of the continent. Repulsed by the sand dunes of the Simpson desert he at last reluctantly abandoned the idea of an inland sea.
Sturt and his party returned exhausted to Fort Grey and after another trip to the Cooper's Creek area from 9 October to 17 November they found the waterhole was rapidly drying. Return to the River Murray became imperative but nevertheless Sturt proposed that the main party should go home, while he and John McDouall Stuart made a do-or-die trip towards the centre. The surgeon, J. H. Browne, resisted so strongly that these heroics were dropped and the whole party went off together. At this point Sturt then succumbed to a serious attack of scurvy and Browne took command through the most difficult part of the journey. By using Aboriginal foods Sturt had almost recovered when the expedition reached Moorundie on 15 January. He arrived at Adelaide on 19 January 1846 ahead of his party, which followed a few days later.
In his absence Grey had been replaced by Major Robe and Sturt had been appointed colonial treasurer. His position was now more comfortable and early in 1847 he applied for leave. He left for England on 8 May and arrived in London just too late to receive personally the gold medal of the Royal Geographical Society, but was able to complete a published account of the expedition. On his return to Adelaide in August 1849 he was soon appointed colonial secretary but unfortunately his sight began to fail and at the end of 1851 he retired on a pension of £600.
Sturt had often expressed his love for Australia and his determination never to return to England, but the need to secure the future of his children forced him to change his mind and he left Australia on 19 March 1853. He spent his last years peacefully at Cheltenham, being widely respected and continually consulted about Australian affairs, particularly the preparations for the North Australian expedition of 1854. He applied unsuccessfully for the governorship of Victoria in 1855 and of Queensland in 1858. In 1869 at the instigation of his friends he sought a knighthood, but died on 16 June before the formalities were completed. Later the Queen permitted his widow to use the title Lady Sturt. He was pursued to the end by financial difficulties and it was said that had his old friend George Macleay not come forward, there would not have been enough in his estate for a decent burial.
Although Sturt probably entered his career as an explorer through influence, his selection was justified by results. He was a careful and accurate observer and an intelligent interpreter of what he saw, and it was unfortunate that much of his work revealed nothing but desolation. He prided himself with some justice on his impeccable treatment of the Aboriginals, and earned the respect and liking of his men by his courtesy and care for their well-being. Indeed his capacity for arousing and retaining affection was remarkable; it made him an ideal family man but a failure in public life. Without toughness and egocentricity to balance his poor judgment and business capacity he had little chance of success in colonial politics. In this sphere he might well be described as a born loser. He remained throughout his life an English Tory gentleman with an unshakeable faith in God. Despite his passionate interest in Australia, his inability to appreciate the attitudes of the colonial community was shown by his proposal in 1858 for a colony of Asiatic convicts in the north. He will always be remembered, however, as the first to chart the Murray River.
When I photographed this on the Isle of Skye I was obviously attracted to the cloud formations and the "hole in the sky" effect but it didn't really strike me as anything spectacular. In fact I sat on the image for about two years before I decided to do anything with it. But then with a couple of small tweaks to contrast and saturation it really came alive. Anyway, over the last couple of years it has done pretty well for me with acceptances in the Sydney International Exhibition of Photography 2014, South Devon Salon 2014, Swansea International Salon 2014 and Wrekin Arts Salon 2014. It's now one of my all-time personal favourites so thanks for looking, commenting and faving. It gets better - it's now been accepted in the Bristol International Salon 2015, the Port Talbot International Salon 2015, the Southampton International Salon 2015, MidPhot 2015, Avon Valley Photographic Salon 2015, Cheltenham International Salon 2015, Photo Salon Contrast 2015 and Photo Infinity 2015, the latter two both in Macedonia. Great news and I'm so grateful to all those who like it.
Won silver medal in 123rd Toronto International Salon.
This is the Nevis range under low cloud and wonderful stormy light. It was like viewing the landscape through a letterbox! Accepted in the Port Talbot International Salon 2015, MidPhot 2015, Cheltenham International Salon 2015, Sydney Harbour International Salon 2015 and Photo Salon Contrast 2015 in Bosnia where it also won an IAAP HM Ribbon, my first ever award - brilliant news! Since then it has been accepted in the Cheltenham International, the Sydney Harbour International and Photo Infinity in Macedonia 2015.
PN's 6AB6 Superfreighter approaches Cheltenham as the lengthy train is kept in check on the falling grade.
057957 10 Nov 2012
D177 @ Cheltenham
SSR Alco and EMD units 48s34 and 4908 rush through Cheltenham as a light engine movement to Cardiff, where they would later haul an EMU set down to Sydney.
'Munro charter' at Cheltenham
066142 5 Jan 2014
It gloomed over really badly from heavy cloud cover about five minutes before the this train turned up but I was determined to capture the CLF class carbody unit leading so I moved from the platform to bridge in order to try and salvage the situation ...
It was also interesting watching this train pass with the crew seemingly having made a charge at the grade from Epping but as the wagons passed, one by one, momentum was certainly running out and by the time the end of the train appeared, speed had dropped considerably.
057374 14 Oct 2012
Heavy winter shadows dominate the scene as an eight-car double-deck intercity set climbs the rising grade between Cheltenham and Beecroft.
25 Sept 2011
Cheltenham NSW Australia
065118 15 Dec 2013
48130 leads NT36 (Grafton XPT) through Cheltenham. The XPT had earlier had issues that needed the 48 to assist it back to Sydney
7BM4 @ Cheltenham
NR18, NR35 and AN4 roll downgrade through Cheltenham with PN's lightly loaded 7BM4. There sure has been some variety in PN's NR fleet lately, with all GSR locos visiting Sydney at some stage this week.
city bound express
City bound train passing through Cheltenham at night
Scotsman in steam, in Sydney, in 1989
During a period in 1989 when it seemed like it rained every weekend in Sydney for the first few months of the year (a bit like 2013 really), 4472 Flying Scotsman leads a northbound tour train upgrade near Cheltenham.
40 minutes in the rain
12 Feb 2011
Cheltenham NSW Australia
A different Cheltenham to the one I remember from travelling on trains 20 years ago (Melb Vs Syd)
40 minutes in the rain
12 Feb 2011
Ahhh pale pinks and greens - the colours I had in my Cheltenham home, in another era.
40 minutes in the rain
12 February 2011
Cheltenham NSW Australia
A six-car double deck Intercity train glides up the grade between Epping and Cheltenham at close to midday one summer's day in the late 1980s. Back then, this bushland setting was once an easily accessed photo location and good for all manner of trains especially in the morning but it became overgrown as the years passed but was completely ruined by new galvanised OHW structures that replaced these ornate but rusting originals.
Epping NSW Australia
screen portrayals of Bristol pirates
Robert Newton (1 June 1905 – 25 March 1956) was a noted English stage and film actor. Along with Errol Flynn, Newton was one of the most popular actors among the male juvenile audience of the 1940s and early 1950s, especially British boys. He was cited as a role model by actor Tony Hancock and Who drummer Keith Moon.
Newton was born in Shaftesbury, Dorset, England, a son of the landscape painter, Algernon Newton, R.A. He was educated in Lamorna near Penzance in Cornwall, and later St Bartholomew's School in Newbury, Berkshire.
He is best remembered for portraying the feverish-eyed Long John Silver and inventing the phrase "Arrrgh, matey!" in the Walt Disney version of Treasure Island. His Disney portrayal became the standard for screen portrayals of pirates and he is often credited with inventing the stereotypical "pirate voice" by exaggerating the accent of his native West Country.
Newton has become the "patron saint" of the annual International Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19.
He again played Long John Silver in an unrelated 1954 film, Long John Silver. The company made a 26-episode 1955 TV series, The Adventures of Long John Silver, shot at Pagewood Studios, Sydney, Australia.
Newton portrayed Bristol, England's other famous pirate Blackbeard the Pirate, but was never able to shake off the legacy of Long John Silver.
His film career was cut short by chronic alcoholism, which led to his death from a heart attack in Beverly Hills, California in 1956. Newton had been married four times and had three children: Sally (b. 1930), Nicholas (b. 1950) and Kim (b. 1953). After some court battles, Newton's eldest son was placed in the custody of his aunt and uncle.
Newton was interred in the Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles. Years later his son Nicholas scattered his father's ashes in the sea in Mounts Bay, Cornwall, England, near Lamorna where he had spent his childhood.
Real pirate Calico Jack has some interesting connections to Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Carribean film franchise. Besides also having the moniker, Jack, the Black Pearl, originally Sparrow's ship, flies the Jolly Roger that was designed by Calico Jack.
Since Sparrow stole and sunk the similarly named Jolly Mon from Anamaria, he offers her Interceptor in return for her joining his crew. Sparrow is the only pirate willing to bear the "bad luck" of allowing a woman on board (e.g., Calypso)—let alone in his crew (e.g., Anamaria and Elizabeth). In reality both of the only female pirates convicted in the peak of the Golden Age of Piracy (early eighteenth century) and possible namesakes of Anamaria, Anne Bonny and Mary Read, cross-dressed and worked for Calico Jack, breaking male seafaring tradition.
Just as Elizabeth, who also cross-dressed, stole away from her bridegroom, Commodore Norrington, to go pirating with Sparrow, Bonny stole away from her husband to go pirating with Calico Jack.
Shiver me timbers! It's speak like a pirate day 2008
Scurvy sea-farin' dogs and wenches gathered in ye olde Corn Exchange in Bristol to celebrate Talk Like a Pirate Day.
There were cries of "Argh me hearties!" and "Yo, ho ho and a bottle of rum!" as pirate enthusiasts gathered in Corn Street to show off their costumes and take part in a cutlass fight.
Lucy Wheeler, of Bristol clothing retailer Beast who organised the event, said: "Long John Silver and Black Beard were both from Bristol.
"We all speak a bit funny like pirates here in Bristol anyway so we want to celebrate the day.
"We want everyone to remember September 19 as Talk Like a Pirate Day and take part and dress up and have fun and pay tribute to Bristol's pirate legacy. The day started in America in 1995 but we want to nab it back off them because we are the real pirates."
Lucy, 40, of Whitehall who runs shops in St Nicholas Market and Cheltenham Road, was giving out free special edition pirate T-shirts to visitors to the event.
A sculpture of famous fictional pirate Long John Silver from the book Treasure Island was erected in St Nicolas Market as part of the celebrations.
The piece, which is made out of Somerset willow was created by Devon-based artist Stephen Froom and was specially commissioned by the Bristol Long John Silver Trust.
Also along for all the pirate fun in the city centre yesterday was Dumpling the Eclectus parrot.
Dumpling turned up with owner Seb Miller of Jungletalk, a company which organises live animal talks and displays.
Paula Brown, aged 35, of Horfield, helped organise a music session and get together at the Llandoger Trow pub, said to be the model for the Admirable Benbow, the inn frequented by Long John Silver Robert Louis Stevenson's novel Treasure Island.
She said: "It's a good opportunity to get dressed up and do something fun. Obviously there is also the historic element to it, with Bristol having strong connections to pirate history.
"I think there is something about pirates that everyone loves, especially kids. Maybe it's the rebellious nature of it that's fun."
Chris Brown, also known as, Captain Barnacle, said: "We've been getting together at the Llandogger on Talk Like a Pirate Day for a couple of years now. We take some instruments, invite lots of wenches, sing some pirate songs and tell a few yarns. Only people who come dressed as pirates and talk like pirates get to come in.
"We don't like no land-lubbers and we have some good pirate fun."
Peter Martin, aged 58, from Knowle, also known as Pirate Pete who organises pirate walks around the city docks and Redcliffe, said: "It's all good fun but it's also educational."
"Maybe many Bristolians were pirates - it was a great sea-faring port, ... Hence Pirates sound like Bristolians not the other way round"
See links below
057367 14 Oct 2012